[SOLVED] How can I format a hard drive?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fra

[SOLVED] How can I format a hard drive?

Post by Fra »

Hi guys,

I just bought a new HD but I need to format it because I am experiencing some little problems. So how can I format a HD in Nadia ? and what is the best file format for Linux ?

Thanks

f
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How can I format a hard drive ?

Post by xenopeek »

Ext4 is the recommended file format for Linux Mint, though you should know you can only access files on an ext4 formatted hard disk from Linux and BSD operating systems. Windows will throw a hissy fit and not work with it. If you need Windows to also be able to access it, you should probably use NTFS.

You can partition and format a new hard disk with GParted, or Disks. If you are on Cinnamon, or I think also xfce, you will already have Disks in your menu. Else, you can install either gparted from the Software Manager or gnome-disk-utility. KDE will probably already also have a utility for formatting hard disks.
Fra

Post by Fra »

Oh yes, I see -disks- in my Cinnamon menu ! I didn't notice it before your mentioning it. Thanks.

I tried to format it but won't work, it says that there is an error of some sort. And It won't let me chose any particular file system. Any suggestion ?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Can you share the error? In text or as a screenshot (Alt+Print Screen will take a picture of the current application and put it in your Pictures folder).
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

When I started on Mint I too had this question, I found this tool to be my answer > http://community.linuxmint.com/software ... sk-utility
Try it out :mrgreen:
Fra

Post by Fra »

xenopeek wrote:Can you share the error? In text or as a screenshot (Alt+Print Screen will take a picture of the current application and put it in your Pictures folder).
here is what it says:

ERROR FORMATTING DISK
error synchronizing after initial wipe: Timed out waiting for object (udisks-error-quark, 0)
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

From a live cd/usb start GParted choose the harddisk you want to format. Under Device click Create partition table, then click apply. Still using gparted make any partitions you require. See http://youtu.be/UuL1NkXI7FQ how to setup mint using gparted
Fra

Post by Fra »

Well now there is a new problem, I installed Gparted but I can't see it in my menu. It is not there, but the software manager says that it is installed on my pc. How can I open the program?

I have a Dell 64 bit laptop with the latest edition of mint 14, cinnamon version.

f
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Fra wrote:Well now there is a new problem, I installed Gparted but I can't see it in my menu. It is not there, but the software manager says that it is installed on my pc. How can I open the program?

I have a Dell 64 bit laptop with the latest edition of mint 14, cinnamon version.

f

Code: Select all

sudo gparted
You might have installed it, but havent gotten the icons. Just run this in a terminal
Fra

Post by Fra »

[/quote]

sudo gparted
You might have installed it, but havent gotten the icons. Just run this in a terminal[/quote]

Ok, thanks. It worked and I also got the icon in the menu. Now I will try to use GParted to format my HD (which is not currently working any more, because when I tried to format it the first time the process that started but couldn't be completed).
Fra

Post by Fra »

Well... I managed to use GParted that is quite simple and intuitive, very good as anything in Mint, but the problem is not solved. I started the formatting process with a single partition and after a 3 min the program said that the operation was successfully completed. I found it strange because it should have taken much longer and I was right. Now the HD shows the ext4 file system but won't work. I can't put any data into it, I can't create any folder. What do you think guys ?
Last edited by Fra on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

Does the harddrive mount ok? Do you get any error messages when trying to write to the harddrive?
Fra

Post by Fra »

Ok, I won't give up. I tried the very same operation with a pen drive. Surprisingly, It does exactly the same if I choose the ext4 file system but it works if I choose the ntfs file system. Before formatting my HD, the program wants me to choose a -partition table-... now I am wondering what is the right -partition table- to select to put into my HD an ext4 file system. Anyway it must be something related to the settings.
Fra

Post by Fra »

cecar wrote:Does the harddrive mount ok? Do you get any error messages when trying to write to the harddrive?
The HD can be mounted successfully but it contains a strange folder called "lost+found" and it says that I don't have the permission to see the content... but I have any permission on this pc.
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

There is nothing wrong with it, its just that the mountpoint is not owned by you so you cant write to it. You have to change ownership of the harddrives mountpoint to you. How do you mount it? Manually from the filemanager or at system startup?
Fra

Post by Fra »

cecar wrote:There is nothing wrong with it, its just that the mountpoint is not owned by you so you cant write to it. You have to change ownership of the harddrives mountpoint to you. How do you mount it? Manually from the filemanager or at system startup?

Good news it is not a problem. Sorry but I don't understand the question -how do you mount it?- ... I plug the usb cable into my pc and so it is mounted. Right? I don't know what is the filemanager either. If you can explain it better I will be able to manage the problem though. Thanks.
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

Ok its a USB drive. I'll try to help you, im not the best at explaining things in english. ;)

Plug in the drive and when its mounted open a terminal and type.

gksu nemo
This will open your filemangager with root priviligies. Now navigate in the filesystem to a directory called media. The directory inside media should be your harddrives mountpoint. Rightclick on it, properties, permissionstab, change owner and group to your username. Close the filemanager and try to open your harddrive and see if you can write to it now.
flyboy1565

Re: Re: How can I format a hard drive ?

Post by flyboy1565 »

Fra wrote: question -how do you mount it?- ... I plug the usb cable into my pc and so it is mounted. Right? I don't know what is the filemanager either. If you can explain it better I will be able to manage the problem though. Thanks.
In Linux, mounting a drive doesn't simple mean to plug in, but you have to tell the system you want to use it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Fra

Post by Fra »

cecar wrote:Ok its a USB drive. I'll try to help you, im not the best at explaining things in english. ;)

Plug in the drive and when its mounted open a terminal and type.

gksu nemo
This will open your filemangager with root priviligies. Now navigate in the filesystem to a directory called media. The directory inside media should be your harddrives mountpoint. Rightclick on it, properties, permissionstab, change owner and group to your username. Close the filemanager and try to open your harddrive and see if you can write to it now.

I DID IT.

My HD now works fine and works with the ext4 file system. GParted is a great application. I was surprised that the formatting process for a 1 TB hard drive took only 2/3 min., this is why I strongly believed there was a mistake of some sort there. Anyway so much the better that I was wrong. THANKS TO YOU ALL GUYS. You really guided me step by step. I really appreciated your help. :mrgreen:

f

Return to “Beginner Questions”