Mint 14 menu icons corrupted (pixelated)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pressmanbill

Mint 14 menu icons corrupted (pixelated)

Post by pressmanbill »

Has anyone seen this problem? After some 5 days after a successful installation of Mint 14 Cinnamon, now when I boot up, the bitmaps of the standard icons in the menu are scrambled. I made no changes to desktop preferences, other than moving the menu to the top of the screen. And I added a second monitor (should have no effect).

First screenshot:
Selection_002.png
The tool tips still work, and so does clicking on the icon. Note the application icons in the menu bar still appear correctly.

Second screen shot
Selection_003.png
The four icons on the right are also scrambled. But, if I hover the mouse of them, they revert to their proper display (not the case with the left icons).

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pressmanbill

Re: Mint 14 menu icons corrupted (pixelated)

Post by pressmanbill »

This issue turned out to have a much larger one lurking behind it, namely I had to display managers installed: lightdm and mdm, the lightdm was not completely installed, and who knows if the mdm was working well or not. Strange that still my machine ran great for the first two weeks, and then something pushed the system over the edge: might have been some software updates.

At any rate, all is working well now. I'm not sure that the lesson is behind all this. Maybe that we newbies have to start learning how to read the log files so we can see what is failing during bootup.

Return to “Other topics”