X server won't start

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pmerrill

X server won't start

Post by pmerrill »

I've been running Linux Mint 14 for a while now, I just did an update lastnight that rolled out some mesa update to my system and now X server won't start. x.log seems to indicate that the nvidia driver which I had loaded can't be found. Any ideas how to fix this? Anyone else experiencing this problem? :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ponny

Re: X server won't start

Post by Ponny »

I had the similar problem in Fedora few years ago. I upgraded packages then in steps by alphabet. And restart after every step. And then X server wont start.

Then I start Linux in text mode. (not sure, if this is right name for this.) And continue to upgrade packages in text/console mode. System is recovered.

Maybe is this solution also in Mint.

Ponny
pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

Yeah, I tried that. When the system came up with Login: I logged into shell and then did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Some installs were done but no luck, still would not boot the X server. For some reason the mesa update broke the nvidia driver. Perhaps I can just uninstall nvidia with some apt-get command?
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BoscoBearbank »

Haven't used the nvidia driver recently, as nouveau seems to do all I need, but when I was using it (this was on Fedora), the nvidia packages would overwrite some of the mesa files with their own versions of those files. A reinstall of the nvidia packages would clear up the problem. HTH

Return to “Beginner Questions”