Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

Removed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Applications and GNOME3 freeze during heavy disk writes

Post by wavespot »

A computer freeze could be due to a million reason.... If you can, try to run 'iostat 1' while your system is slow, you'll see if your hard drive is a good culprit.

Check tps column and iowait value, which will show you the time your system wait for an I/O operation and the number of op. it currently handle. It happened to me once : to solve that I moved a lot of file to a SSD drive and bought a 7200 RPM hard drive. No issue since then.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

This article may be of some help: http://rudd-o.com/en/linux-and-free-sof ... o-fix-that

I also suggest checking your drive using GSmartControl.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

Removed
Last edited by maxibuntu on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoodoohai

Post by yoodoohai »

Actually i confirm this with Linux Mint 13 Mate Debian Edition.
The System freezes after using it for a while (in my case some hours) when an application does heavy i/o.

iotop shows 100% for several minutes, somestimes the sytem even stays unusable. It often happens with chromium, which tends to use the harddisk a lot for caching.

i searched the web for quite a while now, but no real answer. im my case, resarting chromium helps for a while, or restarting the system.

3.2.0-38-generic (#61-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 19 12:18:21 UTC 2013) /also appaered with other kernels...
Genuine Intel(R) CPU U4100 @ 1.30GHz
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm xsave lahf_lm dtherm

Memory 1934 MiB

this seems to be a linux mint debian problem, as with aptosid (also a rolling debian distro) this problem does not occur.

Return to “LMDE Archive”