about upgrade to kernel 3.8

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Osquillar279

about upgrade to kernel 3.8

Post by Osquillar279 »

i wanted to know if upgrading a kernel would bring improvements on wireless driver , and compatiblity with devices like a usb wireless adapter . I just install mint 13 and comes with the 3.2 version of the kernel . I read that 3.8 kernel has a better power management , improvements on audio and drivers ... Those things should work just after i install that kernel version or i would have to work on it trying to reconfigurate stuff??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: about upgrade to kernel 3.8

Post by passerby »

For the most part, you wouldn't need to reconfigure stuff, but there are a couple of programs for which you may need to.
eg. If you're using Virtualbox or a proprietary nvidia driver, you'd potentially need to upgrade or reinstall them.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

passerby wrote: eg. If you're using Virtualbox or a proprietary nvidia driver, you'd potentially need to upgrade or reinstall them.
Not quite correct. If he's got anything installed that relies on dkms, such as VirtualBox or a proprietary nVidia or AMD/ATI driver, then those packages will be completely borked.

Nevertheless, full marks for highlighting the dangers to the poster.

HTH
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Osquillar279

Post by Osquillar279 »

what distro and kernel are u using guys?? everything is working fine?? just curious
passerby

Post by passerby »

You can see what I'm using in my signature.
No problems to speak of, at least nothing kernel-related.
Osquillar279

Post by Osquillar279 »

I just read your machine specifications , nice machines bro. But, passerby , tell me, what laptop do u have?? im thinking on buying an i3 processor laptop but i want to know wich one have full compatibility. People talk about DELL, lenovo, Asus , what do u think about those brands??
passerby

Post by passerby »

My laptop is a lenovo g560. I upgraded its RAM and HDD, but the rest is the same.
It works beautifully with LM. On kernel 3.2 the scroll function of the touchpad didn't work, but 3.5+ resolved it.
Other than that minor issue, it's been perfect, especially the wireless card. I haven't even needed to install any proprietary drivers for it.

I've heard good things about Dell and Lenovo in regards to linux compatibility. I haven't heard anything about Asus in that regard.
The only one for which I can speak from experience is Lenovo, which I couldn't be happier with.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

passerby wrote:My laptop is a lenovo g560. I upgraded its RAM and HDD, but the rest is the same.
It works beautifully with LM. On kernel 3.2 the scroll function of the touchpad didn't work, but 3.5+ resolved it.
Other than that minor issue, it's been perfect, especially the wireless card. I haven't even needed to install any proprietary drivers for it.

I've heard good things about Dell and Lenovo in regards to linux compatibility. I haven't heard anything about Asus in that regard.
The only one for which I can speak from experience is Lenovo, which I couldn't be happier with.
I love my Lenovo Thinkpad R60, and it works great with Linux Mint Nadia KDE.
I haven't been so pleased with ASUS motherboards that I've bought in the past.

Return to “Beginner Questions”