What will happen when the next Debian became stable?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
santiagorf

What will happen when the next Debian became stable?

Post by santiagorf »

Hi all,

What will happen when the next Debian becomes stable (7 Wheezy)? Will I still be having a (semi) rolling release assuming that I'm on latest or will my LMDE freeze?

thanks in advance!
santiagorf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What will happen when the next Debian became stable?

Post by xenopeek »

Well, once Debian 7 is released the current freeze on the Debian testing repository will be lifted. So I imagine we will see more updates from Debian testing to incoming. And the updates won't be focused only on fixing Debian 7 release bugs, but you'll see new releases of programs also (with new features and functions).
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

You will still have a rolling release, except that your LMDE won't follow Wheezy, but the next testing release and have a lot of updates as Wheezy goes stable. I have been following Debian testing off and on since Lenny (5.0) was in testing, and what happens is that while 'testing' changes to 'stable', the new 'testing' swings closer to 'sid' as new versions of applications go through QC until they are certified stable enough to come out of sid to testing. Oh yeah, and Squeeze will go to 'old-stable' and only receive security updates until the next release.
santiagorf

Post by santiagorf »

thanks for the prompt replays!!
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

santiagorf wrote:Hi all,

What will happen when the next Debian becomes stable (7 Wheezy)? Will I still be having a (semi) rolling release assuming that I'm on latest or will my LMDE freeze?

thanks in advance!
santiagorf
The right answer to your first question is NOTHING.

When Debian wheezy becomes stable, Debian testing is gonna change its name to Jesse, and its users are gonna face lots of updates and will likely have some breakages (they call this "fun"). However LMDE users won't notice any change, as their systems won't get any updates from Debian testing til the next Update package is released (I guess the next UP will be released 6-8 weeks after wheezy stable is released). You will have your "semi-rolling distro" as usual (I don't agree with people who say that LMDE is a semi-rolling distro because LMDE hardly ever gets updates) and LMDE will be as frozen as it is now.

The only thing that might change is that LMDE users might get update packages more often (maybe every 6 - 8 weeks... do not expect to get update packages every 15 days or every 30 days, a Linux Mint team is a small team, they are working in some different projects and I don't think LMDE is their main priority)

Return to “LMDE Archive”