nVidia NV 4200M and color temperature

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Talegolas

nVidia NV 4200M and color temperature

Post by Talegolas »

Hi,

been having issues trying to make flux work so i decided to uninstall it and give it a try to changing the actual color myself through the nVidia X Server Settings.

Problem is, that no matter what i change, it does not get reflected!.. any idea why this might be happening? I try to change each of the color channels separatedly, no chnge.. all together..no change..i even try to change the brightness through cinammon preferences "brightness and lock" and it does not change!.

Please help as my eyes are already burning from having too much brightness on my laptop.

thanks

PS: FFS!, not even the function key and brightness option on my lap's keyboard works..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: nVidia NV 4200M and color temperature

Post by catweazel »

flux
Rubbish app, only good for Windwoes. Use redshift.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install redshift gtk-redshift
Run startup apps and create a command line:

gtk-redshift -l <LAT>:<LONG>

where <LAT>:<LONG> is the latitude and longitude of your location. Google will give it to you.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Talegolas

Post by Talegolas »

Thanks.

i did see the redshift option out there while googling for an answer. I thought that regardless of the tool it would still fail as even the Mint tool to reduce brightness is failing.

I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome.
Talegolas

Post by Talegolas »

excellent.. it worked.

now, not sure what you meant by creating a start up command, and i did not have to use the parameter as it uses geoclue to find out my current location...scary.

interestingly enough, the Redshift item was added to the accessories menu, but when i run it, it does not do a thing. I had to run the command line from a terminal gtk-redshift for my screen to turn redish.. any thoughts here?...

further testing... i quit the command line program and (obviously) the redish went away... so then i re-run the application added in the accessories menu and now it works. so i am all set i guess

Thank you!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

You're welcome.

about the startup command. Check in the menu for Startup Applications. You can run gtk-redshift from there so you don't have to manually start it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Talegolas

Post by Talegolas »

Thank you.

I got it last night.. was not sure i was following your instructions but that migth been what you meant. I added gtk-redshift to the "startup applications" and created a config file for it too.

The automatic checking for location does not seem to always work even from the same network!. the gtk part should have some type of feedback in the GUI to tell the user "no, i cannot locate your place".. or something telling the user that it failed to start. I was scratching my head wondering why it just did nothing the first times i launched gtk from the accesories menu.

anyway, i love it. thanks again!

Return to “Hardware Support”