you might be right about several of the issues you raise above but you miss the point:
- if you are testing a dev. iso LMDE-UP6-Mate-i386-dev-20130304-1839
there's just one place to give feedback: here http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
(the issues you find in those builds are non-issues
because those builds are not released, are in testing)
actually if we go to the correspondent iso page http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/192
there's nothing there; so as a tester you are not doing your job properly. period.
Well, hacking and slashing my way through the jungle of painstakingly correct
Linux Mint bug reporting methodology is a bit tough. But I have been slogging my way through, grinding down bit by bit, until I finally found the correct place to post my bug report. You'll give me credit for putting forth some effort here, won't you zerozero? (And far more effort than should be required for filing a bug report as I have already pointed out. Debian, one of the most bureaucratic and slow moving of the major Linux distros, makes filing bug reports much easier.)
Anyway, I did my job as a tester as best I could. I went to the page you recommended, but could not post anything there. There was no link to post comments, GUI button to post comments, or any information anywhere about posting comments, bug reports, or anything about the iso in question.
So, once again, Linux Mint made me jump through yet another hoop to file a bug report.
While I have no bug report filed on that page you cited because there is no mechanism in place to do so, I did send a private message to 'fredg', who is putting together these testing isos. My email was polite, detailed, and offered to help in any way I could. I even mentioned you, zerozero, and pointed out that you thought I was mistaken, admitted that I could be, and offered to work on this bug in any way I could to help get it resolved, whether the problem was with me, or with the LMDE test release.
I have not yet heard back from fredg, but I hope to soon and will work with him in any way I can to help resolve this issue. Meanwhile, I am once again re-installing the latest verified DVD, and changing my password this time so that it doesn't have any special characters in it, to see if that helps. This was reported to be part of the problem, and the alleged fix, in other bug reports relating to LMDE RC6 password issues I have come across.
So, zerozero, instead of giving me grief for not filing the bug report in the precisely correct obscure-and-hard-to-find bureaucratic niche-hole; how about cutting me a little slack, remember that you did point me in the right direction as best you could even though it turned into yet another hoop for me to jump through, and then be grateful that an obstinate prick like me is willing to keep grinding away at what could be a major security flaw and release critical bug, despite being told that I am wrong, making mistakes, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada.
Tenacious bug reporters who are willing to do dull, detailed, grind-it-down, grunt work to chase down maybe bugs - people like me - we're your friends. Your very good friends. We are not clods to be airily dismissed with smug condescension.