creative sound blaster with 7.1 speakers in linuxmint 14

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nileshraje

creative sound blaster with 7.1 speakers in linuxmint 14

Post by nileshraje »

Dear All,

I have a AM2 based system with 4GB ram and 500GB HDD. I have dedicated the whole system to Linuxmint 14 KDE after going throug a lot of reviews over the net about the same.
I also have a creative sound blaster Audigy Live series sound card connected to a Creative 7.1 speaker system.

My problem is that whenever I play Music through Amarok, I have no problem whatsoever. But when I play any movies thorough Kaffine or VLC the audio goes mute after about 5~10 minutes of play. Then I have to restart the application and replay the file which again plays for the next 5~10 minutes and again mutes. I read on the net that the cause for this could be Pulseaudio, I tried to remove Pulseaudio and switch over to ALSA, but then I am not able to leverage the full potential of my 7.1 system, the system plays stereo.

Please HELP!!!

Nilesh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: creative sound blaster with 7.1 speakers in linuxmint 14

Post by anandrkris »

Hi Nilesh ,
I had a similiar issue of audio stopping intermittently while playing video files. I installed vlc plugin pulseaudio and and set the backend audio server in Phonon as VLC. Not sure, but i think , it is set to gstreamer. Hope this solves your issue.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install vlc-plugin-pulse
An aside - http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3844 - I have posted an idea on having a Troubleshooting wizard in Mint for audio related issues. Request you have a look at it and provide your views and if it makes sense cast your vote on it. Thanks :)Am rallying the forums to get consensus on the idea.
P.S. Please mark subject as solved, if issue is fixed.
radrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by radrick »

Thanks. That line got my Soundblaster working again.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

radrick wrote:Thanks. That line got my Soundblaster working again.
- Glad to be of help. :) Keen to know your views / votes on Troubleshooting idea posted above. I know, am trying to lobby support for this idea. :wink:

Return to “Sound”