Mint 8 MintMenu Scrollbar "pointer focus"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mneedes

Mint 8 MintMenu Scrollbar "pointer focus"

Post by mneedes »

When I go to any applications menu list within the MintMenu (Mint v8 ) such as "All" or "Preferences" that has a scrollbar and start scrolling by holding down the left mouse button, if my cursor leaves the scrollbar area, it refuses to keep scrolling. Shouldn't scrollbars "latch focus" when you hold down the left mouse button no matter where the pointer ends up in the screen? This makes it more difficult (for me) to use the menus.

However, the mousewheel in the window seems to scroll the menu well (as soon as I figured out not to use it on the scrollbar window :P ).

Other than that, I really like the MintMenu.

I did a search and couldn't find anything about this. Is it just me ?

Thanks!
Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint 8 MintMenu Scrollbar "pointer focus"

Post by Husse »

Well, if you leave the slider I think scrolling is supposed to stop
But if you keep the button pressed and point the pointer at the scrollbar again scrolling is still there
I have not noticed that you cannot use the scroll wheel on the scroll bar
deltaker

Post by deltaker »

The problem the first poster (mneedes) is having, is a real, and continuing bug for me, unresolved in Mint 9 Isadora.

Describing the issue in my own way:

Context:
In the 'Applications' section of the MintMenu, there is a section for categories of applications with a scrollbar, and then to the right of that there is another section that lists the applications that belong to those categories. If that list is long enough, a scrollbar also appears at the right most edge of the MintMenu. It is using this scrollbar with a pointing device (mouse, track-pad etc), that is problematic.

Heres why:

Problem:
Place pointer on scrollbar, then left click and hold while moving mouse up and down as you normally would to move it. The problem is, if the pointer wanders off to the right or left of the scrollbar (left button held down continuously), the grasp on the scrollbar is lost by the pointer. One has to stay precisely in the vertical channel of the scrollbar for it to move up and down. This is unconventional (broken) scrollbar behavior. It makes it much more tricky/frustrating to choose an application from that far right list in the otherwise awesome MintMenu. The scrollbar to the left, which I described as controlling the application categories, does work properly. It's the far right one that needs fixing.

This issue may be solved elsewhere on the forums. If so, please point me there.

Thank you

[MintMenu right most applications scrollbar loses focus]
prateek

Post by prateek »

This is not solved in Mint 10 "Julia" either :(
Art1

Post by Art1 »

Unfortunately, this problem is still there in Mint 14 MATE. If the pointer wanders off to the right, the scrollbar stops, and if the pointer wanders off to the left, the scrollbar jumps to the top. It is awkward and I am surprised that it persists in Mint 14. Isn't it possible to repair it?

Return to “Software & Applications”