login needed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dominosdad

login needed

Post by Dominosdad »

After I installed Mint I rebooted my machine several times with it coming back perfectly to the Cinnamon desktop each time. Which was the option I'd chosen at install.
Then there was an update, and I removed a few programmes that I'm never going to use (nothing system related) and I changed the desktop screen.
But then I rebooted and this time a black screen (It says tty1) came up asking for a login which I don't have, and then when I try a possible one, a password (so I tried the one I know worked when I was doing things within Mint). But I can't get past that. I have no idea what the login is. I assume the password is the one I set at install.
Is there a way past this or do I have to start again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PadreKing

Re: login needed

Post by PadreKing »

Sound like it didn't like the desktop switch. You are probably reaching a terminal due to the incompatablity of your previous selection be it because of the updates installed or the display adapter settings and the system is trying to protect you. If X windows cannot start it will dump you to a command login terminal. If you don't have the password it may just be better to reload or you can try a livedvd/livecd and mount the hard drive after booting off one of them. You will need to edit the password file found in /etc/ and remove the password from the user name you are trying to login as. Also you will have to figure out how to fix X. If you don't want to bother with it, I've been doing this for 19 years so it comes pretty easy for me, I'd just reinstall and this time, be a lot more aware of what the screen tells you as you install. ALSO make sure you write down the password if you can't remember it. Something I learned a long time ago. HA! Securing the password is another issue. Militarily secured: put written password in secure envelope and seal envelope with scotch tape and sign the tape. Store in someoone elses safe. Extreme but effective.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Your login is the name you entered when you first installed, i.e. your name.
Password is the password you entered when you first installed.

When you have entered both correctly you should get a command prompt starting with these symbols ~$
Try pressing Ctrl+Alt and F8. That may get you to your Desktop interface. You can also try to enter the command

Code: Select all

startx
If the Desktop interface will not start then you may have removed an essential part of your system. You can try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cinnamon
to reinstall cinnamon and then reboot.

Some installed programs use shared support library files and when you remove these other programs cease to function.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Dominosdad

Post by Dominosdad »

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. This time round it was simpler to reinstall.
I did work out that my username was actually staring me in the face, from the part of the log-in prompt. But at this stage there was no point trying to get it all working.
It was too early in the proccess to bother with the previous attempt.
I'm just starting to look at command prompt stuff; and comparing Linux command lines with the old MS-DOS ones from my youth. All good fun.
:D
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Good fun it is indeed and great to keep you thinking. Some commands are the same as those in DOS but the Linux command line is far superior.

Making mistakes is par for the course and you will get to a point in acquiring Linux knowledge where you are able to repair a broken system without having to re-install.

Here is a useful URL for you: http://linuxcommand.org/

Patience, Perseverance and Good Luck.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Dominosdad

Post by Dominosdad »

Thank you. I look forward to exploring that. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”