Time and date (possibly daylight savings time)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ctulhu

Time and date (possibly daylight savings time)

Post by Ctulhu »

I live in the area of Pacific Standard Time (which is GMT-8) and I use Mint 14 KDE. There, Daylight savings time was set last Sunday. Right now, two days after that, I am in Central Europe (GMT+1) where they do not have DST yet so we're only 8 hours ahead. The problem is this: I set the Date and Time application to get the local time from europe.pool.ntp and

- it is 12:18 PM here but the clock in the task bar shows 11:18 AM
- but if I save a file, it gets the correct date time stamp in Dolphin: 12:18 PM

How can that be fixed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Time and date (possibly daylight savings time)

Post by Orbmiser »

I had my unchecked for Set date & time automatically when I installed KDE. And originally set time myself.
And it adjusted time on Sun. DST. and jump ahead all on it's own.

Strange is when I try to apply Public Time Server (pool.ntp.org) or north-america.pool.ntp.org I get 14:05 for PST when actually it's 07:05am. Got me what's the issue will have to search more about it.

I would just set it manually and leave it at that. At least it seems I know more about what time it is then the pools.org do.
Ctulhu

Post by Ctulhu »

Well yea, I ended up setting it manually to have a meaningful clock on my screen, but I was hoping that there was a 21st century Linux 3.5 solution to the problem, not a 16th century set-your-clock-manually solution ;-) Oh well, maybe in Mint 18 ... Thx anyway!
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

Orbmiser wrote:I had my unchecked for Set date & time automatically when I installed KDE. And originally set time myself.
And it adjusted time on Sun. DST. and jump ahead all on it's own.

Strange is when I try to apply Public Time Server (pool.ntp.org) or north-america.pool.ntp.org I get 14:05 for PST when actually it's 07:05am. Got me what's the issue will have to search more about it.

I would just set it manually and leave it at that. At least it seems I know more about what time it is then the pools.org do.
Methinks there is a bit of work to do here. The nstime servers have not worked in KDE for some time. The bug fix must be non trivial or no one is able to work on it.

Last w/e's time change has me all fouled up. I have to use an old version of Adobe Ditigal Editions (1.7.2) for obtaining library ebooks under linux. The new version (2.0) does not work under wine. After the time change last w/e ADE did not work I suspect b/c it is no longer maintained and nothing was done to deal with the time change. To get it to work again I had to change the system time. Now my Thunderbird/Gmail timestamps should show up as UTC+6 (USA Mountain Daylight TIme) on Linux Mint 14 KDE but instead show up as UTC. On my other boot Windows 8 the Gmail timestamps show up correctly as UTC+6. For example the same Gmail under Chrome shows 7:10pm LM14 and 1:10pm Windows 8 (1:10am is the correct MDT). The time clock displays are correct on LM 14 and Windows 8.

I think I may have to set the date/time under Konsole. I wish we would just stay on DST. Thank you Ben Franklin.

Return to “Software & Applications”