during the last update something went wrong and now my system is broken.
The system boots fine and shows the graphical login screen but once I fill in my credentials and press enter, the screen just turns black except for the mouse cursor, which I can still move. Apart of that, nothing happens, the screen stays black except for the mouse. I can switch to the terminals (ctrl-alt-fx). All packages are installed nicely, apt-get is telling me I'm completely up-to-date.
- Radeon X700 SE
- LMDE running Mate, cat /proc/version shows:
Code: Select all
Linux version 3.2.0-4-amd64 (email@example.com) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-12) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.2.32-1
Analysis I've done so far:
- Starting a graphical session from the console (either xstart oder service mdm restart/start) leads to the same result
- Adding a new test user and logging in as the test user does also not solve the problem. Thus my profile does not seem to be the problem.
- I do not have a /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file, but according to my research this should be ok...? In fact I already tried creating a dummy Xorg.conf containing just a short entry for the radeon driver, but this also did not have any effect.
- The graphics card worked nicely before the update. I already tried installing lots of different versions of free and non-free drivers, to no avail.
- I checked the Xorg logs, they contain no error messages.
- mdm is installed correctly
I've spent this whole day with trying stuff and crawling forums and irc channels and now I have no further idea on what to do. What annoys me most is that I don't even know what the problem is! Is it some X configuration stuff? Is it a driver problem? Or something completely different?
Any help would be much, much appreciated...
Kind regards, jhin