Stream music to disk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamsterthecool

Stream music to disk

Post by jamsterthecool »

Update: there is a red record button on VLC , that once pressed saves the media to the home/music folder :D .Isn't it obvious once you know about it .

Hi all,

I've been messing and researching and installing and deinstalling and reading and trying everything several times over and over. But I have not managed to save a stream to disk whilst, listening to that stream in linux mint.

In banshee, I've installed the stream recorder .Which has the option of saving "unchanged stream" to disk .But saves this stream with a .audio-stream file extension ? wtfe, what the flipping eck!. Can't be right surely?.I can re-encode the stream to a mp3 but that's a lo-fi way of doing things in our hi-fi world .

so I tried out rhythm box with the plugin 'Internet radio browser plugin ' though it only lists about 20 stations. I can't find a plug-in to save stream to disk .Though there is a mention of works with stream ripper ,which aI installed but don't see any option in rhythm box to save stream.

Tried out Exaile ,nothing shows up in the radio streams window!.

so now I'm trying VLC .Even though I can save the original stream to disk with vlc, I can't seem to do it whilst hearing the music . Even when I check the 'display stream box ' etc .No music playing! .

Anyone help me out with this .All I want is a simple music player that I can,search for internet radio, listen too whilst saving the beuatiful sounds I hear for later enjoyment .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Stream music to disk

Post by bigj231 »

It's probably not really what you want, but have you checked out the JACK sound system? I think you could route audio to your outputs and to something like audacity simultaneously. It does have quite a few drawbacks though, including high system load.

Another (hackish) option is to get a headphone splitter/y-cable and hook one output into the input on your soundcard. Then just record with something like audacity as normal.The advantage to this is minimal software setup and configuration. You do have to buy stuff though and the recorded audio can be noisy. This is the hardware implementation of what I've described above.

Audacity might also be able to record the monitor of your output channel too. Something to look into.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

TThanks for the help on this .Though I'm starting to think that maybe I've just got some buggy software .

Those options you mention though are very hackish like, and not something I'd thought I'd have to do simply to save what’s already being streamed into my pc.Think I'll just go back to the 80's, Get a old fm radio, which had a RECORD button .Press that button and it worked flawlessly

If someone,anyone!, can just answer me these 2 questions than I can know whether it's a system problem ,a software problem or a me/user problem .But getting help from the linux community is not as straight forward and easy and one may think .There probably fed up answering the same questions over and over again, because newbies find it hard to find any relevant or up to date documentation .

1. Does vlc have the option to 'hear the music' at the same time as streaming raw data to disk .

2. How to configure this option .

I probably could use a windows program under wine but I assumed it I would'nt have to

Banshee is a nice audio player ,is it meant to save the raw data with a ' .audio-stream' file extension ? And if so why?, I've asked on the banshee forum, but no one is answering a simple yes or no question .
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I looked around on VLC, and it seems that you cant listen and stream to disk simultaneously. However, you might be able to stream to the disk and use another instance of VLC to playback the stream.

You might want to take a look at the VideoLan forums. Someone there might be better able to assist you.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

OK thanks for that ,

Though I do have a record button on VLC .When I click it ,it does stream the media to my music folder whilst playing it.Havn't had the chance yet to find out if it's a raw stream.Or a recompressed mp3 etc .

Return to “Beginner Questions”