USB Plantronics Headphones and Linux Mint 14 KDE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crconti

USB Plantronics Headphones and Linux Mint 14 KDE?

Post by crconti »

I have 2.1 Creative speakers plugged into analog stereo out and they work fine. However, I want to use my USB Plantronics GameCom 780. When I plug them Phonon recognizes sound card as Plantronics GameCom 780 but only Analog output. I hear the Front Right and Front Left in the Speaker Placement and Testing but when I use Amarok, it only plays thru Creative speakers.
Here's a screen shot attached. Anyone know how to get it recognized as a USB digital sound device?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tit

Re: USB Plantronics Headphones and Linux Mint 14 KDE?

Post by Tit »

Hmmm, just checking, can't you select another profile in the profile section except analog stereo?
crconti

Post by crconti »

If I boot into Linux Mint 14 KDE with the headphones in the USB port, I am able to see an option for Digital Stereo. However when I apply the changes I get the following message which wants me to have KDE forget about certain device. I click No cause I am afraid it will screw up my speakers connect to Stereo In jack. Has anyone seen this message? Is it save to forget about those devices?
Tit

Post by Tit »

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I get it correctly, you want to have a simultaneous output to your speakers in analog and usb hedphones in digital (or would it be a problem id the headphones were analog?). By default, you can only select one output device. The only way I know of to select multiple devices is:

-install pavucontrol and paprefs

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol && sudo apt-get install paprefs
-plug in your headphones

-run pavucontrol; under the "Configuration" tab select the profile of your speakers and headphones (translation: Izhod == Output, Vhod == Input)
1.png

-run paprefs; under the"" Simultaneous Output tab, check "Add virtual output device for simultaneous output on all local sound cards"
2.png

-now you just have to select the simultaneous output onder sound. Not sure how it's done in KDE. In Cinnamon, you just click the sound icon and select it or in the general sound preferences under the first tab first tab select it. You should be ready to go...
3.png
Oh, and if you anly want a specific application to use this setup, here's a great article on how to do so: http://matt.scharley.me/2012/03/29/puls ... vices.html

Hope this helps.
crconti

Post by crconti »

I did get it to work by reinstalling pulseaudio. Now when I plug in my headphones I see the following message:
boppin

Post by boppin »

Tit wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but if I get it correctly, you want to have a simultaneous output to your speakers in analog and usb hedphones in digital (or would it be a problem id the headphones were analog?). By default, you can only select one output device. The only way I know of to select multiple devices is:

-install pavucontrol and paprefs

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol && sudo apt-get install paprefs
-plug in your headphones

-run pavucontrol; under the "Configuration" tab select the profile of your speakers and headphones (translation: Izhod == Output, Vhod == Input)
1.png

-run paprefs; under the"" Simultaneous Output tab, check "Add virtual output device for simultaneous output on all local sound cards"
2.png

-now you just have to select the simultaneous output onder sound. Not sure how it's done in KDE. In Cinnamon, you just click the sound icon and select it or in the general sound preferences under the first tab first tab select it. You should be ready to go...
3.png
Oh, and if you anly want a specific application to use this setup, here's a great article on how to do so: http://matt.scharley.me/2012/03/29/puls ... vices.html

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! paprefs allowed linux to recognize my sound card again. Very much appreciated!
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

I have pavucontrol installed, helped me in routing output to HDMI. Need to check on paprefs - new name to me.

Now trolling with a purpose...http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3844 - I have posted an idea on having a Troubleshooting wizard in Mint for audio related issues. Request you have a look at it and provide your views and if it makes sense cast your vote on it. Thanks :)Am rallying the forums to get consensus on the idea.

Return to “Sound”