I need firewall off

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zakoschris

I need firewall off

Post by zakoschris »

how do I turn the firewall off in linux mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dyfi

Re: I need firewall off

Post by Dyfi »

In a root terminal type ufw disable then use enter on the keyboard.
zakoschris

Post by zakoschris »

Thankyou
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

When you want to restart the firewall ufw enable in a root terminal.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Just curious as to why you would feel the need to turn your firewall off? That's like cancelling your flood insurance during the rainy season, isn't it?

Is there a specific application that you need to give access to that you cannot figure out or something?
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MtnDewManiac wrote:That's like cancelling your flood insurance during the rainy season, isn't it?
Not if he's sitting behind a router with NAT. That would be pretty much any router nowadays.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Mint has a GUI tool to turn the firewall off and on. Save yourself some typing. :)
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

catweazel wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:That's like cancelling your flood insurance during the rainy season, isn't it?
Not if he's sitting behind a router with NAT. That would be pretty much any router nowadays.
Unfortunately it has been revealed that almost all consumer grade routers are extremely insecure. I am behind a router with a firewall but I have my local firewall on as well. If my router becomes compromised the local firewall is there as a second line of defense.
I am a belt and suspenders guy when it comes to security.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”