Setting terminal on desktop background

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fresh

Setting terminal on desktop background

Post by fresh »

Is it possible to set a terminal on the desktop background in Cinnamon? Would we need applications like devilspie to achieve this or can it be done more elegantly with the Mutter window manager?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Setting terminal on desktop background

Post by viking777 »

It is an interesting idea. I presume you want a working terminal, not just a picture of a terminal? The later would be very easy the former nowhere near so.
fresh

Post by fresh »

viking777 wrote:It is an interesting idea. I presume you want a working terminal, not just a picture of a terminal? The later would be very easy the former nowhere near so.
So Cinnamon is still too new to do that kind of thing? I'm wondering, can I use an alternative window manager and try to achieve something similar? Would there be any problems with a setup like that in Cinnamon?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Don't get the wrong impression fresh, just because I don't know how to do what you ask doesn't mean that it can't be done.
elgeeko

Post by elgeeko »

I had to dig this old post up... I am interested in something like this as well, and there is a way to make that work with compiz under mate and ubuntu: http://www.webupd8.org/2009/05/ubuntu-e ... sktop.html

But from what i read today compiz and cinnamon don't mix? Haven't tryed it out though on my Min 16 Cinnamon pc because im to scared to brake something :lol:

Return to “Cinnamon”