"No Bootable Device Found" Macbook Pro

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dr.Mangosteen
Level 1
Level 1

"No Bootable Device Found" Macbook Pro

Post by Dr.Mangosteen »

Hello,

I have an older macbook pro: Intel Core 2 duo (supports 64-bit), 8 gigs of ram, Nvidia graphics with 256mb dedicated, late 2009 (5.1). Recently, i wanted to install mint. So i burned Linux Mint 64-bit Cinammon to a dvd and booted. I loved Cinamon very much and when i went on to install, no errors showed up. Partitioning is the following: 50GB Ext4 mounted at root (/), 100 GB Ext4 mounted at home (/home) and 10GB swap. Please note that all three partitions are part of an extended partition (i have other partitions on the disk that aren't related to linux in any way). I always make sure to put the bootloader on the external. I then click on restart, and no problems there. However, when i restart (with a rEFIt disk inside) none of the Linux options work. The only thing that shows up is: "No bootable device found--Please insert installation media". I have re-installed mint with different partitioning layouts about 7 times. I read somewhere that Linux should be ok inside an extended partition. To confirm, I didn't once see GRUB show up, i wish i had. Later, when i found out about rEFInd, I burnt that to CD and tried it and got the following errors showing up: "Mount: can't read /etc/fstab" then: "mounting /dev on /root/dev failed" then some other things that failed to mount, then "Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init." then "try passing init=bootarg.". And that's all. rEFInd told me to restart. I have a little experience with Linux, i installed Ubuntu on my external usb stick (several months ago) and it works fine (didn't have any installation problems with that) but it's extremely bloated and sluggish so i figured that this new external (2TB lacie) would work alot better because it has firewire 800. That's why i wanted to install to that external because the firewire should be about 2 times faster than my usb 2.0 port, therefore the should be less bloat. Anyways, for your convenience, I went ahead and did the boot repair but that didn't help at all. Here's the paste: http://paste2.org/p/3133010 where sda is my 320 GB internal which i'd rather leave untouched and sdc is that pesky external. Also, sda has mac os x 10.6.8 installed, not windows 7 but i guess the program can't tell the difference. I heard that mint has support for efi booting (which if you couldn't tell is what my annoying macbook uses) but i have no idea how to set it up. Maybe that will solve the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :D
Thank you for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dr.Mangosteen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "No Bootable Device Found" Macbook Pro

Post by Dr.Mangosteen »

Nobody has any experience with macbook's?

Return to “Installation & Boot”