No Background (Java ??)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bobrm2

No Background (Java ??)

Post by Bobrm2 »

I've changed a setting on the other Linux box , that's running Linux Mint 13 Maya. Now I can't see the background making it very hard to locate login boxes etc. I believe this happened when I was attempting to change from Java to Ice Tea; not for sure. Can someone point me in a direction to begin with. The only thing I can think off is to re-install or upgrade and would rather attempt to trouble shoot this problem. TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bobrm2

Re: No Background (Java ??)

Post by Bobrm2 »

Ok, uip on Linuxmint.com/community there's a turtorial as to how to install jre. I've removed (I hope Java 6. and have attempted to follow the instruction in the tutorial.

Still am unable to use sites, such as banking (not a good thing this time of the month), VA sites for health purposes. this site (unable to locate those little boxes you fill in, etc).

bob1@bob1-IC780M-A ~/Downloads $ cd /
bob1@bob1-IC780M-A / $ ln -s /opt/java/32/jre1.7.0_09/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/ ln -s /opt/java/32/jre1.7.0_21/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/
ln: target `/home/bob1/.mozilla/plugins/' is not a directory: No such file or directory
bob1@bob1-IC780M-A / $ ln -s /opt/java/32/jre1.7.0_21/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/
ln: target `/home/bob1/.mozilla/plugins/' is not a directory: No such file or directory
bob1@bob1-IC780M-A / $ ln -s /opt/java/32/jre1.7.0_21/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

The version in /opt/java/32 would be jre1.7.0_21. The plugin is installed. Is Java even the problem, like maybe I've wasted this time, and maybe it's "Flash" of something else.

Just looked back at this post; maybe the mozilla plugin directory is mis-identified???

Oh, running the latest version of FF, and have Nadia ISO here. Starting the "Backup" program now.

In a hole and could use a hand up. Thanks

Bob

Return to “Beginner Questions”