Can I make a window span multiple workspaces?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pearldrums

Can I make a window span multiple workspaces?

Post by pearldrums »

Hello,

I recently moved to LM Mate Maya from Ubuntu. First off... it feels so good to be back into a gnome 2 based system. I really tried to like Unity but thank you Linux Mint and Mate for keeping this alive. Any way, the more important issue is this: Right now I don't have the ability to span multipe workspaces with one window. I'm not talking about having two monitors. I do have dual monitors, but I'm talking about the "workspace switcher" and making part of a window appear on one digital workspace and the rest of it on another. I seem to remember being able to do this with ubuntu but I cant find out how I got it done. I don't know a lot about the Compiz Settings Manager. Would trying to use that in my enviornment be a bad idea?

If your wondering why I need to do this, I am trying to run a game called Ragnum Online. I am trying to find a way to create a custom resolution size for the client window but as it stands I cannot. I like to keep a panel on the top of my desktop to view open windows and have my menu etc, but when combined with the bar that automatically gets put on any window to have the minimize/maximize/close/etc options (whats that called anyway, a title bar?) I cant see the bottom of my game screen, which is kind of a big deal. So, I would like to drag it so that just that top portion is on one workspace and the rest is on the workspace below it. I don't need to see the top of the screen as much as the bottom.

Thanks for your help!
-Pearldrums
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
.mouse
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can I make a window span multiple workspaces?

Post by .mouse »

I use Compiz and whether or not it's a bad idea to use it boils down to how adapt you are to figuring out where MATE ends and Compiz begins. Compiz CAN work well in MATE but it takes a bit of tweaking to get everything working right and troubleshooting any problems that arise later will sometimes take a bit of digging. A good starting point for setting this up would be here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919

I just tested it in LM 13 MATE with Compiz and it is possible to move a window to the bottom of a top row workspace and still view the window on the bottom row when you switch to it. So what you're requesting is possible.

If you choose to go with this setup be sure to change your workspace rows and columns via CCSM and NOT the simpler method of changing those values in the preferences window of the workspace switcher in your MATE panel. For some reason this has caused conflict issues with Compiz and MATE for me.

Return to “MATE”