[mostly solved] Finding a replacement for my Audio Player

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BrowserXL

[mostly solved] Finding a replacement for my Audio Player

Post by BrowserXL »

Hello everybody,

I am a new Linux Mint user (second week only) and so far I am really happy with my decision to switch. Using Windows for such a long time made me lazy and a good deal of the fun of working with a computer was lost. I always enjoyed the learning process of mastering the OS and expanding my knowledge about most. This has now returned with the switch to Mint. I still have a ver long journey in front of me, but thats half the fun :)

I have a question though, that I couldn answer fully so far. As several other users on this forum I have been a foobar2000 user on my windows machine. I could use Wine to bring Foobar onto my Linuxmachine, but would like to avoid it if possible. I have evaluated several players already, as well searching around the web and the forums in order to find a proper replacement, but so far the search was fruitless. Maybe someone here could give me a hint. My requirements are:

Essential:
- plays MP3
- plays SID (including subtune handling)
- plays SAP (including subtune handling)

nice to have:
- plays MOD
- plays SNDH
- offers multiple playlist handling with one click switching between them.

I wonder if such a player (or plug ins for a common player) exsist. I would love to avoid switching between several players to listen to the different filetypes. The players I have tested so far where able to partly play the filetypes, some didn't support subtunes (which is not good with sid and sap since most of them have subtunes). I do not a fancy gui or bucketloads of features (apart from those mentioned) to be happy.

An alternative (which I haven investigated yet) would be a converter which could convert sid, sap, mod and sndh to mp3. If anyone has a lead to those, I would be happy for a name, link or packet name.

Cheers
XL
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Finding a replacement for my Audio Player

Post by Orbmiser »

List of Linux audio software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Li ... o_software
Start with that to get a feel for what's out there.

As not familiar with
- plays SID (including subtune handling)
- plays SAP (including subtune handling)

nice to have:
- plays MOD
- plays SNDH
So you will have to keep searching I guess sorry couldn't be more help.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

foobar2000 is the only app that i miss (and never fully replaced from my windows times); once in awhile i try it again in wine and amazes me that sound and memory footprint is better/lower than most of the native options.

anyway, if you are looking for replacements, look here http://alternativeto.net/software/foobar2000/comments/
(there's a few mentioned there, you might be disappointed tho)
BrowserXL

Post by BrowserXL »

Thanks for those links. I will follow them and work through the list, maybe I can find the golden egg there.

To clarify, I am a big fan of chiptunes from old vintage machines. These formats are related to them:

*.sid = Commodore C64
*.sap = Atari XL/XE
*.sndh = Atari ST
*.mod = Amiga 500
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

*.sid = Commodore C64
*.mod = Amiga 500

Am familiar with as started with a Vic20 then Commodore64,Amiga1000,500,3000 and 2000 with Video Toaster Card.
And was a Amiga salesman 89'-91' Clackmas Computers here in Portland,Or. Amiga was ahead of it's time tho had the wrong parents guiding it Commodore was the Idiot Parents unfortunately.
Last edited by Orbmiser on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrowserXL

Post by BrowserXL »

My first machine was an Atari 130XE which was the equivalent to the C128. I loved this machine and I stuck most of the time with Ataris before switching to PC. My brother preferred Commodore machines, and we had more then one argument about them. Its really a pity they both have vanished, since they were great for their times.
I know that some people are still using Amigas as a webserver and the last album from ATR "Is this hyperreal?" was almost completely done on an Atari MegaST2 which is pretty awesome in my eyes.
Well I will head for the bed now and start on that list you provided: Maybe what I am looking for is right in front of my eyes.
BrowserXL

Re: [mostly solved] Finding a replacement for my Audio Playe

Post by BrowserXL »

Ok, after some testing I have settled with Audacious, since it does most of the stuff I need.
I run in the classical Winamp skin which I like more then the gtk variant, when I have to handle a bunch of playlists.
It runs sid and sap including subtunes but not sndh (mod yet untested).
I guess that I will have to find a stand alone player for the other formats, but so far I think I will stick with the Audacious player.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

and i never gave audacious a fair try :shock:
BrowserXL

Post by BrowserXL »

Well apart from playing the formats right (it was the only one supporting subtunes), the playlisthandling is nice.
In the gtk mode you have the playlists as tabs, which is ok, but going to be confusing when you have a lot of them. The winamp variant always display only one of them and show which one of how many you are using in the first line of the playlist window.
You can then flip through the lists with the tab key which is a nice feature.
Also the ability to cue tracks for playing is also not bad.

I wouldn't call it a replacement for foobar, but its a nice alternative when you can get to terms with the different interface.

Return to “Sound”