how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
MALLOW
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:17 am

how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby MALLOW » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:24 pm

how to install latest gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 19251
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby xenopeek » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Install the packages gnome-shell and gnome-session, then select to run a Gnome Shell session at the login screen.
Image

User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby bimsebasse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:59 pm

gdm and mdm don't get along well, though, just so you're prepared.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby bimsebasse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:40 pm

I just managed but it is somewhat complicated this time around (compared to in Mint 13) if you want all the Gnome Shell/Gnome 3 goodies. Merely installing the gnome-shell package doesn't give you Online Accounts integration, nor does it give you the full System Settings menu (gnome-control-center).

Pretty hard to retrace my steps now but I think I first installed "gnome-shell" and "gnome-shell-extensions", then pinned Ubuntu's repos higher than Mint's in the the etc/apt/preferences file, then installed "gnome-session", then added the Gnome 3 PPA and pinned it highest of all, then installed "gnome", then reinstalled "gnome-control-center". Now I have something close to vanilla Gnome 3, + Nemo and the Cinnamon session. Online Accounts works and the System Settings menu is there in full.

As mentioned above you'll have to use gdm instead of mdm, but that also makes more sense in a Gnome Shell environment anyway, as gdm is tightly integrated with Gnome Shell and mdm isn't. For instance lock screen only works with gdm.

If anyone knows of an easier way then please share as this would probably be a good topic for a guide/tutorial :D

And by the bye, Gnome Shell is very fast and responsive on top of Mint 14, certainly more so than on top of 12.10.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

MALLOW
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:17 am

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby MALLOW » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:57 am

thanks for alllllllll

watcheroftheskies
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: the Netherlands

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby watcheroftheskies » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 am

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's any trouble using the new GDM3 with Cinnamon (on main Nadia)? I tried it on my laptop just installing 'gnome-shell' and it seems to be OK. But I want to be more sure before I put it on the 'family-PC'.

I did not install gnome-session, because it seems to draw in full unity with it. After just installing Gnome-shell I got the new GDM, but no Gnome-shell as option in session. That's okay because I just wanted GDM. IMHO the new GDM fits better with Cinnamon. There's no black screen after login and the 'faces'from user accounts are shown (they don't in MDM).

But mayne somebody did the same and had some trouble/breakage?

bwat47
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 1:31 am

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby bwat47 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:13 am

watcheroftheskies wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if there's any trouble using the new GDM3 with Cinnamon (on main Nadia)? I tried it on my laptop just installing 'gnome-shell' and it seems to be OK. But I want to be more sure before I put it on the 'family-PC'.

I did not install gnome-session, because it seems to draw in full unity with it. After just installing Gnome-shell I got the new GDM, but no Gnome-shell as option in session. That's okay because I just wanted GDM. IMHO the new GDM fits better with Cinnamon. There's no black screen after login and the 'faces'from user accounts are shown (they don't in MDM).

But mayne somebody did the same and had some trouble/breakage?

GDM 3.6/the new lock screen is currently fairly broken in quantal, when you resume from suspend you just get a black screen with a mouse cursor. The bug is fixed in GDM 3.6.2, but of course quantal still has 3.6.1 :/.

qbic2005
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby qbic2005 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:39 am

complicated? :shock:

just run:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm

you'll get a box, telling you to choose between mdm and gdm, I checked gdm.
After the installation process finishes, just reboot your linux mint.

So far I had no issue with the lock screen, then again I recieved gnome-shell 3.6.2 :D

User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby bimsebasse » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 am

That does not give you the full gnome-shell experience - e.g. you don't have online accounts integration, which is essential to gnome-shell, and your settings menu is maimed. It's only uncomplicated if you don't mind running a botched gnome-shell session.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

qbic2005
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby qbic2005 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 am

:? I figured out the same in the mean time ... sorry learning as we go :D

so messing around with the software sources will fix this?

User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby bimsebasse » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:21 am

Yes, sources tweaking and a few installations/uninstallations. I really wish there were a proper guide for this (or that I had down carefully what I did) as gnome-shell on top of Mint 14 (Cinnamon) is quite awesome. Maybe some remastersys wizards will do gnome-shell Mint 14 :D
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

qbic2005
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby qbic2005 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:27 am

yes I confirm:

Doing:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get remove gnome-control-center
sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

will give you 'the full' experience :wink:

Thank you bimsebasse for pointing that out by the way.

Aoi v1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby Aoi v1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:23 pm

qbic2005 wrote:complicated? :shock:

just run:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm

you'll get a box, telling you to choose between mdm and gdm, I checked gdm.
After the installation process finishes, just reboot your linux mint.

So far I had no issue with the lock screen, then again I recieved gnome-shell 3.6.2 :D


Tried that, after reboot the Linux Mint loading screen shows and blinks, then cursor appears and after 4 secs it freezes and I have to manually turn my laptop off.

qbic2005 wrote:yes I confirm:

Doing:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get remove gnome-control-center
sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

will give you 'the full' experience :wink:

Thank you bimsebasse for pointing that out by the way.


I'll try this one and see what happens.

qbic2005
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby qbic2005 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi Aoi

In that case the issue is probably not with the procedure for installing gnome :wink:

Check your Xorg.0.log for openGL support, I'm pretty sure you have a driver issue.
I get the same on my tablet (fixed after installing the Catalyst driver)

Carefull note, OpenGL should be supported to run Gnomeshell. :!:

(ctrl-alt-F2 will put you on a text console, but I suppose you knew that :wink: )

MARP1961
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 am

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby MARP1961 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:13 am

:)
Aoi v1 wrote:
qbic2005 wrote:complicated? :shock:

just run:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm

you'll get a box, telling you to choose between mdm and gdm, I checked gdm.
After the installation process finishes, just reboot your linux mint.

So far I had no issue with the lock screen, then again I recieved gnome-shell 3.6.2 :D


Tried that, after reboot the Linux Mint loading screen shows and blinks, then cursor appears and after 4 secs it freezes and I have to manually turn my laptop off.

qbic2005 wrote:yes I confirm:

Doing:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get remove gnome-control-center
sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

will give you 'the full' experience :wink:

Thank you bimsebasse for pointing that out by the way.


I'll try this one and see what happens.


I did all this and it worked for me except that I found out that I could not find an 'Appearance' option in 'Settings' to allow for a change of desktop background. If I Right Clicked on desktop and selected 'Change Desktop Background' it just took me to 'Settings' with no 'Appearance' option.

I finally solved it by opening Synaptic Package Manager and used it to install gnome-panel-control . I then rebooted to find the 'Appearance' option in 'Settings' (and Right Click Change Desktop) as normal.

Aoi v1
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby Aoi v1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:13 pm

qbic2005 wrote:Hi Aoi

In that case the issue is probably not with the procedure for installing gnome :wink:

Check your Xorg.0.log for openGL support, I'm pretty sure you have a driver issue.
I get the same on my tablet (fixed after installing the Catalyst driver)

Carefull note, OpenGL should be supported to run Gnomeshell. :!:

(ctrl-alt-F2 will put you on a text console, but I suppose you knew that :wink: )


Oh, thanks for the information. I have installed LM like 10 times in a row due to these and other problems. BTW, how do I check for OpenGL support? I searched my Xorg.0.log, no matches.

woodnymph
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby woodnymph » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:33 am

yes I confirm:

Doing:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get remove gnome-control-center
sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

will give you 'the full' experience :wink:

Thank you bimsebasse for pointing that out by the way.


confirmed here, too. just installed on mint 17.

ibrahimansari
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:15 am

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby ibrahimansari » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 am

qbic2005 wrote:Hi Aoi

In that case the issue is probably not with the procedure for installing gnome :wink:

Check your Xorg.0.log for openGL support, I'm pretty sure you have a driver issue.
I get the same on my tablet (fixed after installing the Catalyst driver)

Carefull note, OpenGL should be supported to run Gnomeshell. :!:

(ctrl-alt-F2 will put you on a text console, but I suppose you knew that :wink: )

Well, not just Ctrl+alt+f2. You could use f1, f3, f4, f5, or f6 instead of f2 too. :mrgreen:

ibrahimansari
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:15 am

Re: how to install gnome shell in linuxmint 14 cinnamone

Postby ibrahimansari » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:52 am

qbic2005 wrote:yes I confirm:

Doing:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool gdm
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get remove gnome-control-center
sudo apt-get install gnome-control-center

will give you 'the full' experience :wink:

Thank you bimsebasse for pointing that out by the way.

BTW, does GDM break MDM? Or I will have to hack my way out. Thanks for the solution though. :)


Return to “Cinnamon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests