no encryption passphrase?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nvrBungeeJumped

no encryption passphrase?

Post by nvrBungeeJumped »

So in Ubuntu durring an install if I checked encrypt home folder the first time I logged in I was prompted to run some line of code and record my encryption passphrase.

I just installed Linux Mint, checked encrypt home folder during installation, but the first time I logged in I was never prompted to do this encryption passphrase part.

I followed http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=124043, and I was told ecryptfs was already instilled, and that my home folder was already encrypted.

What is up with this? Have I done something incorrectly? Also why did Mint not prompt me to perform the step of recording the encryption passphrase?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: no encryption passphrase?

Post by xenopeek »

After logging in as the user with the encrypted home folder, open a terminal and run the following command (do not add sudo!!!):

Code: Select all

ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase
Provide your password as asked and you will get your mount passphrase.

Linux Mint ≠ Ubuntu
nvrBungeeJumped

Post by nvrBungeeJumped »

thank you so much =)

I know linux mint isn't ubuntu, and I'm still getting use to the differences
walkingdistance

Post by walkingdistance »

Thank you, too, xenopeek.

I've also encrypted my Home on Ubuntu and encountered the passphrase prompt on first run. Does anyone know why this prompt is apparently absent from Linux Mint [13]? This is a vital step for newbies and converts, who may well be oblivious to the precarious accessibility of their data without a safely recorded passphrase. Am I wrong?
Stan Svec

Post by Stan Svec »

walkingdistance wrote:Thank you, too, xenopeek.

I've also encrypted my Home on Ubuntu and encountered the passphrase prompt on first run. Does anyone know why this prompt is apparently absent from Linux Mint [13]? This is a vital step for newbies and converts, who may well be oblivious to the precarious accessibility of their data without a safely recorded passphrase. Am I wrong?
I totally agree with you. I inserted a new idea about this topic here: [url]http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/4250[/url]

Return to “Beginner Questions”