<SOLVED> Only one CPU core detected.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
AlexMex90

<SOLVED> Only one CPU core detected.

Post by AlexMex90 »

Hi, I'm currently running LMDE 201303 from a LiveUSB and there is a thing bugging me, system monitor only seems to find one core from my dual core CPU, I don't see any performance issue, so I can't tell if the missing core is not working, or if it is working but is simply not picked by the system monitor. I have a second computer, with another dual core CPU and system monitor only displays one core. Is a bug, or am I doing some thing wrong?

My CPU is Intel Core Duo T2400
see: http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk11 ... b13eb9.png

System Monitor screenshot:
see: http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk11 ... 05990a.png

Thanks in advance for any answer.

EDIT: forgot to mention, everything's 32-bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wiugrad2010

Re: Only one CPU core detected.

Post by wiugrad2010 »

You probably have the 486 kernel. Go to Device Driver Manager and see if there is a 686 kernel available. The scan takes a few minutes before it shows the results. After you update to 686 it will use all cores. (From what I know)

Correct me if I am wrong.
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

To start off at the beginning, I'd say what are the outputs of:

Code: Select all

inxi -C

cat /proc/cpuinfo
To check which kernel you are currently using you can do

uname -a
AlexMex90

Post by AlexMex90 »

wiugrad2010 wrote:You probably have the 486 kernel. Go to Device Driver Manager and see if there is a 686 kernel available. The scan takes a few minutes before it shows the results. After you update to 686 it will use all cores. (From what I know)

Correct me if I am wrong.
System Monitor says it's running Kernel Linux 3.2.0-4-486, I can't update because I'm on a LiveUSB session. Is this the default kernel for LMDE?
semicolon wrote:To start off at the beginning, I'd say what are the outputs of:

inxi -C

cat /proc/cpuinfo
To check which kernel you are currently using you can do

uname -a

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -C
CPU:       Single core Intel T2400 (-UP-) cache 2048 KB flags (nx sse sse2 sse3 vmx) clocked at 1000.00 MHz 

mint@mint ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 14
model name	: Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2400  @ 1.83GHz
stepping	: 8
microcode	: 0x39
cpu MHz		: 1000.000
cache size	: 2048 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 10
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts aperfmperf pni monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr pdcm dtherm
bogomips	: 3657.12
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

mint@mint ~ $ uname -a
Linux mint 3.2.0-4-486 #1 Debian 3.2.32-1 i686 GNU/Linux
This last one is confusing, kernel is 3.2.0-4-486 but it is Debian 3.2.32-1 i686?
wiugrad2010

Post by wiugrad2010 »

Yes, the default kernel is the 486. So if you are only running off of the Live then you will only be using the single core.

After install, and all updates, go to device driver manager and that is where you can install 686.

I am sure there is a way to remastersys an ISO to include the 686 instead of 486, but that is beyond my knowledge
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

From the mint website
Multi-core and multi-CPU support in 32-bit kernel
To guarantee compatibility with non-PAE processors, the 32-bit versions of Linux Mint Debian come with a 486 kernel by default. This kernel does not support SMP, and as a consequence is only able to detect one core and one CPU. If your CPU has multiple cores, or if you have more than one CPU, simply install the 686-PAE kernel and reboot your computer.
But if you insist on using the live USB with the 32-bit version I'm afraid I can't help you with that.
AlexMex90

Post by AlexMex90 »

I see, I didn't see that, thanks for pointing me that, I was hesitant to install it on my hard drive because the CPU not being picked up properly, but seems like it is a easy fix. Thanks everybody, and sorry for not investigate enough.

Return to “LMDE Archive”