LAMP Server Not Working Correctly

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wagb278

LAMP Server Not Working Correctly

Post by wagb278 »

I recently installed Linux Mint-14 Cinnamon as a replacement for Ubuntu 10.04 on a dual-boot computer and cannot seem to get the LAMP suite working properly under Mint. The other Operating System is Ubuntu 12.04 (using Gnome Classic) and is working just fine - including the web server. I think I setup LAMP on Mint the same as on Ubuntu, but obviously something is different. Both OS-es share a partition "/data" which holds the MySQL databases (in /data/databases) and the web document-root (/data/www/htdocs). I have checked and rechecked that the configuration files have matching entries for telling MySQL where the databases are located and Apache2 pointing at the web site files (not in /var/www) but on the /data partition. I altered the User and Group IDs in Mint so the "mysql" user/group share the same UID and GID values with Ubuntu 12.04 so both OS-es can access the database files and user "www-data" is in the low range of UID/GID values that match across distros - both have the same value "33".

I installed phpMyAdmin in Mint, it works and all my databases are vaild, according to that tool. So I beleive the MySQL part of LAMP is correctly installed and configured in Mint. I have a short few-line HTML file (index.html) in the document root for apache2 (/data/www/htdocs/index.html) and that displays correctly in Firefox (localhost). I placed a phpinfo.php file (with a phpinfo() call) beside the index.html in the document root and that too dispays correctly. So basic Apache2 and PHP seem to be working in Mint accessed as localhost on the same computer. My web server files include a number of test web sites and none of them are accessible as localhost or over the LAN when Mint is running - everything works when Ubuntu is running. And nothing from the web server in Mint is accessible across my LAN. When I boot into Ubuntu everything works locally and across the LAN.

One local website I use as a LAN portal does display the home page (when running Mint), but the presentation is not correct, and none of the links from that page work - I get "cannot connect to server" error page for links to other pages on that website.

Is there something unique with Mint that requires a different Apache2 configuration? One thing I do not understand is - Does Linux Mint-14 run Apparmor? The configuration file for mysqld exist in Mint, but I dont see an init.d/apparmor tool to start / stop / restart the Apparmor process.

Does Mint have an active Firewall that could be preventing even localhost from accessing the web pages?

I have inspected Apache2 logs and I do not see anyting that jumps out at me, but I am not sure what to look for in those logs (access and error) - there are no errors in the error logs, just notices of no significance.

I can provide details if needed. I did not want to litter this post with a bunch of configuration files.

Thanks for any ideas as how to diagnose and resolve this issue.
Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wagb278

Re: LAMP Server Not Working Correctly

Post by wagb278 »

SOLVED My mistake - I forgot to setup the Linux Mint system with the static IP used for this node on the LAN. It was still using the DHCP configuration established when Mint was installed.

Jim

Return to “Networking”