n00b ready to dive in

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xero.nu

n00b ready to dive in

Post by xero.nu »

hey, i'm xero.
a 30 y/o programmer from pittsburgh pa. i've been using windows since the 3.1 days. i have casually used linux a few times over the years but never what i'd consider "heavy use". lately i have been wearing both the web developer and server admin hats, so i've been forced to learn linux more and more. for years i have been vehemently against apple/macs for personal ux reasons. Windows has been good to me all these years, but i really hate the direction they're going w/ win8. it makes a lot of sense in the tablet world, but for desktop computing it's ridiculous.

the other night i watched revolution os, an amazing documentary on the roots of the free/open-source software movement. i never realized how aligned i was (personally, ethically, socially, etc) with the linux mentality. my thought process has always been: "i don't like to pay for software, so why try and sell my own? i make a living because some business pays me to write custom code for them. the rest of the world can just have it free". i guess i never fully understood the differences between: "free as in speech vs free as in beer"... needless to say richard stallman is my new hero ;D

tl;dr
i'm ready to get serious about linux and (hopefully in a few months) ditch Windows. i did my research on distros/flavors of linux and mint seems to be the winner for me. i have some questions about dual booting win7 and mint on my laptop, but i'll do some more research before asking.

thanx for having me in your community!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: n00b ready to dive in

Post by anandrkris »

Hi...Welcome to the Mint family. I am a recent windows convert and share the same sentiments and beliefs.
I am not a programmer but a pure desktop user and have learnt to adapt to Linux am sure you will do a great job! By the way, i wiped windows in one of my laptops and am not missing anything.

This tutorial helped me in dual-boot installation.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
xero.nu

Post by xero.nu »

anandrkris wrote:This tutorial helped me in dual-boot installation.
thanx for this anandrkris! reading this has given me a bit more confidence!

one issue is that my ultrabook has no cd/dvd drive, so i'll be installing from a usb drive. i assume that should have no effect one way or the other.

the other issue is my computer has an intel 32GB mSSD hard drive acceleration cache (it's an HP envy 6t-1000). it's not something i manage, the computer does it itself. and im not sure if it's managed by the OS or the bios (i assume OS). i hope that also doesn't effect anything either.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day,

Welcome to the forum,

:mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”