Ubuntu's Come a Long Way

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Ubuntu's Come a Long Way

Post by tdockery97 »

As someone who started out hating the idea of the Unity Desktop, I now have to eat crow. I have found Unity to have improved dramatically over time. The addition of many add-on tweaks has contributed significantly to this, such as providing window-dodge for the Launcher, lots of themes, and unlocking of previously unconfigurable items. Here's a screenshot of my Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS desktop with the Mediterannian Dark Theme and Faienza Azur folder icons:

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
craig10x

Re: Ubuntu's Come a Long Way

Post by craig10x »

That looks really great :)
Nice job!!
You know, it's funny, when unity first came out there were so many negative comments about it, but as time went on, many came around and are now big fans (including myself)...

I've been running 13.04 development and i think it's the best one yet in the ubuntu series...i do hope they get that new "symlink" or whatever they are going to use ready before the 13.04 release, so that you can "roll" with development without the need to upgrade...it would be my "rolling ubuntu"... :mrgreen:

I'm a bit lazy about customization...the only thing i do is make the icon size smaller on the unity dock (about 38 pixels)...and use the optional "lighter" theme that ubuntu provides in the settings for that more "silver/gray metal like" look...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I ran 13.04 for several weeks, with a few breakages off and on. Finally got tired of the "excitement" and decided I wanted something stable to run up to the 14.04 LTS. :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I hear you...13.04 has been pretty reliable for me...a few minor problems along the way, but all worked out...i switched to it because a few large bugs i had in 12.10 were eliminated on it for me...and i like the refinements to unity and other stability and performance aspects of this new version...

I will just have to decide if i want to go "rolling" and continue with the development, or just go "final" with it...
I am looking for less installs then every 6 months, so i figured either: "rolling development" or LTS to LTS....but if i go with the later, then i will use 13.04 until 14.04 arrives and begin with that...

I did have less problems with 12.04 then i did with 12.10....but at this point i am kind of "spoiled" with 13.04 :lol:
Last edited by craig10x on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Welcome to the club :D

I still spit blood over the removal of launcher dodge windows - I find it strange that the removal of one simple feature can cause me such anger, but even with that, Unity is still my first choice desktop environment at the moment. I also use Cinnamon, Xfce and Fluxbox so I don't rule out other alternatives by any means, but Unity just fits with how I want to work perfectly, more so than any of the others. It is not a very 'fashionable' point of view, I know, not that I care much about that.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Never had a big problem with Unity generally. It's a nice approach, certainly nicer than W8. My main issue with Ubuntu is the bugs. As the Linux OS with the most swagger and bluster, I expect the thing to perform, but when I've had it on my desktop and particularly on this laptop, performance has been appalling. Frequent freezes and hangs, a ton of noisy HDD activity, and overheating issues. Unity was the least of my problems. And its not an old laptop either. I've since moved to another distro (openSUSE 12.3), and it feels like a massive upgrade. I know it's been a successful venture because my wife now wants to use the laptop, as opposed to avoiding it. I still use Mint on my desktop, but I worry about what's next for it after all the recent Ubuntu upheaval.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Hardware can definitely influence the decision of which distro to use.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Am running Raring 13.04 Gnome (Shell 3.6), but added Unity just to try it out. Its really fine, but I still prefer Gnome Shell (as long as about a dozen good extensions are installed), and Nemo from Mint... :wink:

Last edited by GeneC on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Nice GeneC. Yes, I have a few extensions installed on the Unity shell. As with any new desktop that people hate at first, just wait a month or two and the hackers (the good kind) will come up with extensions to make it configurable.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi td... :D

I tried the 3.8 Shell (from the PPA), and its a bit better but next to NO extensions available, yet..
Time to wait on that one.... :lol:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

GeneC wrote:Am running Raring 13.04 Gnome (Shell 3.6), but added Unity just to try it out. Its really fine, but I still prefer Gnome Shell (as long as about a dozen good extensions are installed), and Nemo from Mint... :wink:

If I may ask what Desktop Calendar is that?
As found Screenlets to much just for a simple desktop calendar which is my preference.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi orb... :)

Its a download called Rainlendar (Free Version)
http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php

with "Statica" skin.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

GeneC wrote:Hi orb... :)

Its a download called Rainlendar (Free Version)
http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php

with "Statica" skin.
Thanks I remember that on Windows and used years ago.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

For my own part, I downloaded and tested (in virtual machine and live session) the Beta Versions of Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu 13.04, and daily builds for the day March 26, of Ubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 (the new flavor added the family). Both Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu really excellent work, to be beta versions, are really very good, final edits are on track to be excellent versions (you notice they are more dependable and faster than 12.10 versions).-

For Ubuntu 13.04, works better (although I have had several unexpected crashes, more than anything when I change the size of the windows in Unity). You can tell he still has some work to reach a correct final version. With Ubuntu 13.04 Gnome I will not be so severe, it works well, although I do not like Gnome 3 at all, I was not ever hung, has better performance than Ubuntu itself ..... However, I believe that all these versions, including the final, are generally betas. The real progress of the project, we will see in 14.04 LTS versions. Greetings.-
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Ubuntu 13.04 Final Beta came out today. I was already on the dailys for about a week now. There were some glitches initially, but it seems to have settled down nicely. It took some doing, getting it to look the way I wanted, but it's pleasing to use now. It's fast enough, though Linux Mint Cinnamon is faster on my computer. Not terrible at all, though, on speed and resources. I always thought Ubuntu was a little clunky, but it started improving with 12.04 and 12.10, and I agree with the OP it's come a long way with 13.04.

I have one complaint, which is the connection to streaming goes just one bar, using Amazon in Firefox, and the same extreme slowness is suffered on Netflix desktop. I know the Netflix desktop is installed properly. I use it on Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, Lubuntu 12.10, Voyager 12.10, and Elementary Luna Beta1. They all stream properly. So I think this particular problem is with Ubuntu 13.04.

I don't know if I'll keep 13.04, but it is quite nice.

Update: Out of curiosity, I replaced Lubuntu 12.10 today with 13.04. There is no connection problem with streaming.
Last edited by Adelante on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pikachu6708

Post by Pikachu6708 »

Ubuntu + Cinnamon = flat-out awesome! I started using Cinnamon in Quantal today, and really, really digging it so far.

Theme: Darkmint panel and window + DkGreen GTK + Malys Uniblue icons.
Cinnamon.png
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Actually, the beta's 2 I've tried (Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu) work really well. They seem to be they final versions are faster and more stable. Any of them work better than the last version (12.10). If they continue on this path, and I imagine it will be 14.04 LTS versions. They will be wonderful. Great Work !!!!

I also hope that the upcoming new version of Linux Mint will be, no doubt, something to really celebrate. I expect nothing less than that !!!!

Return to “Chat about Linux”