How To: Persistent Live LMDE USB Install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
k_2150

Re: How To: Persistent Live LMDE USB Install

Post by k_2150 »

I was struggling for a long time to get LMDE 201204 installed and running off a USB stick but nothing worked, not if I wanted to save my work, then I found this thread. Many thanks to the author for this very precise tutorial which I followed step by step and which works beautifully. LMDE 201204 is now installed & up and running, and yes Linux Mint Debian Edition is very fast. I'm over the moon, Cheers!
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

widget wrote:We don't even allow folks to bring things they own into this house if it has any MS stuff on it (laptops, phones, etc - I know we are weird but we hold a grudge real well).
SWEET!

and you are not weird.
slo_down

Post by slo_down »

Hello all,
i'm new here and thanks kwatson512 for this tutorial.
I see alot of you had brought your usbstick to work.

I got some problems with GPARTED. But now it works.

Hmm seems LMDE is very slow :( I used 1,5GB Persistent.
Is the normal LM faster? Can i use the same Tutorial?

Which i have to choose at boot : "default" or "start linux mint" or "compatibility"? Any differences?

Thanks
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

slo_down wrote:
Which i have to choose at boot : "default" or "start linux mint" or "compatibility"? Any differences?
Welcome. No differences between 'default and 'start linux mint' that I know of. 'compatibility' is for those weird times when you might have some issues (graphics etc).

Don't know about LMDE being slow. I've never experienced that and I don't run a Linux distro off a USB either.

hope this helps.
BenBurrows

Post by BenBurrows »

I just tried this and it did not work.
I used a 16GB usb drive, shrunk the created initial partition to 2GB, created a new partition for the rest of the drive, formatted at ext2 with "live-rw" as the label and it boots just fine, however persistence just refuses to work. If I create a file on the desktop and reboot its gone when I come back in (I am testing as the "mint" user).
I don't know if its relevant of not but the live-rw partition seems to be mounted but I cannot create any files directly on it (maybe I am not supposed to be able to)
I edited the config file to boot with "persistent" and I checked in /var/log/syslog and I can see that it was in fact booted with that flag. I dont find any reference to "live-rw" in syslog, should I? Is there somewhere it might log the fact its looking for live-rw and cant find it / cant use it / discovered an error with it etc etc? I am a bit lost as to where to look for some detail of whats going wrong.

Thanks
saniboy.7

Post by saniboy.7 »

Hi,
I have done exactly what you said, but it doesn't work.
I have tried to create new user but in the following boot the user does not exist.

Can you help me ?

I have used LMDE Mate 64 bit rc and unetbootin for linux.

Thanks in advance
saniboy.7

Post by saniboy.7 »

No helps?
kyeshi98

Post by kyeshi98 »

Hi. I just have a few questions first, to make sure:
So, I was reading across some of Debian's Live Manuals, and I'm not sure, but according to the live manual, Squeeze uses the "persistent" flag and a "live-rw" partition, while Wheezy uses "persistence" and any partition with a "persistence.conf" in it. However, LMDE is semi-rolling. So, my question is, what Debian is LMDE based off of, and will this perhaps still work with the latest ones I download?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just tried doing that according to your guides. Great guide, but it doesn't *seem* to work with my USB. Might be a USB problem, or it's because the LMDE I downloaded was downloaded just today (and Wheezy/Squeeze issues). Anyways, thanks, and if you have any ideas on helping, more thanks!
widget

Post by widget »

kyeshi98 wrote:Hi. I just have a few questions first, to make sure:
So, I was reading across some of Debian's Live Manuals, and I'm not sure, but according to the live manual, Squeeze uses the "persistent" flag and a "live-rw" partition, while Wheezy uses "persistence" and any partition with a "persistence.conf" in it. However, LMDE is semi-rolling. So, my question is, what Debian is LMDE based off of, and will this perhaps still work with the latest ones I download?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just tried doing that according to your guides. Great guide, but it doesn't *seem* to work with my USB. Might be a USB problem, or it's because the LMDE I downloaded was downloaded just today (and Wheezy/Squeeze issues). Anyways, thanks, and if you have any ideas on helping, more thanks!
Wheezy is currently Debian Testing so "persistence" is the term to use.

It was change from persistent as it is more technically correct. The use of persistence was pretty new when Squeeze was Debian Testing and the term just wasn't well thought out in the work of getting it to work at all.

Jessie will be the new Debian Testing when Wheezy is released as the New Stable (Squeeze being, then, the Old Stable for one calendar year) and I am sure the same "persistence" will be used.
saniboy.7

Post by saniboy.7 »

widget wrote:
kyeshi98 wrote:Hi. I just have a few questions first, to make sure:

Thanks!

Wheezy is currently Debian Testing so "persistence" is the term to use.

It was change from persistent as it is more technically correct. The use of persistence was pretty new when Squeeze was Debian Testing and the term just wasn't well thought out in the work of getting it to work at all.

Jessie will be the new Debian Testing when Wheezy is released as the New Stable (Squeeze being, then, the Old Stable for one calendar year) and I am sure the same
"persistence" will be used.
I don't understand.. I tried using persistence flag but doesn't work... I am not familiar with casper configuration..
kyeshi98

Post by kyeshi98 »

widget wrote: Wheezy is currently Debian Testing so "persistence" is the term to use.

Jessie will be the new Debian Testing when Wheezy is released as the New Stable (Squeeze being, then, the Old Stable for one calendar year) and I am sure the same "persistence" will be used.
Hi! Just changing "persistent" to "persistence" doesn't work, as I have tried. I read up on the Debian Live Manual for Wheezy and have finally gotten to a working solution. First of all, I make a partition named "persistence" instead of "live-rw." In the "persistence" partition, I also have to make a file named "live-persistence.conf" with the contents "/ union" (one line only). Then, the rest follows your steps, replacing the "persistent" flag with the "persistence" flag. You *could* add that to your thread, if you want :)

Still, thanks for taking the time and making a tutorial like this :). I personally think, though, that the developers should put a list of downloads of different LMDE builds so we know which LMDE we are downloading (Statler, Waldorf, etc.)
saniboy.7 wrote: I don't understand.. I tried using persistence flag but doesn't work... I am not familiar with casper configuration..
Looks like you might've gotten a bit off track? I don't think LMDE uses casper (I might be wrong), but just changing "persistent" to "persistence" won't work. Try following widget's tutorial and make changes according to what I said above :)
saniboy.7

Post by saniboy.7 »

kyeshi98 wrote:
widget wrote: Wheezy is currently Debian Testing so "persistence" is the term to use.

Hi! Just changing "persistent" to "persistence" doesn't work, as I have tried. I read up on the Debian Live Manual for Wheezy and have finally gotten to a working solution. First of all, I make a partition named "persistence" instead of "live-rw." In the "persistence" partition, I also have to make a file named "live-persistence.conf" with the contents "/ union" (one line only). Then, the rest follows your steps, replacing the "persistent" flag with the "persistence" flag. You *could* add that to your thread, if you want :)

Still, thanks for taking the time and making a tutorial like this :). I personally think, though, that the developers should put a list of downloads of different LMDE builds so we know which LMDE we are downloading (Statler, Waldorf, etc.)
saniboy.7 wrote: I don't understand.. I tried using persistence flag but doesn't work... I am not familiar with casper configuration..
Looks like you might've gotten a bit off track? I don't think LMDE uses casper (I might be wrong), but just changing "persistent" to "persistence" won't work. Try following widget's tutorial and make changes according to what I said above :)
kyeshi98 Thanks for you help but does not work yet...
alexboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexboss »

Hello,

Thanks a lot for this tutorial.

Just like for BenBurrows and saniboy.7 , I followed this tutorial step by step. I installed Linux Mint Debian 201303 Cinnamon on my USB Stick.

I can boot the USB stick and find my OS. But unfortunately it looks like there's no persistency because when I switch off the computer and boot back on the USB stick, all the changes (keyboard / proxy preferences, new user, new packages) are dropped.

That's annoying, so I'm registering to this topic if someone ever pops up with a solution !

Best regards,

Alexandre 8)
saniboy.7

Post by saniboy.7 »

To be precise this method works with the version of LMDE linked in the first post, but not with the latest.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Sorry, I hadn't been following this thread lately.

I just went through the tutorial again, using kyeshi98's suggested changes, and it worked for me. Thanks, kyeshi98! :)

I'll go back and update the OP so this works for Mint 201303. I use Cinnamon, but I'll try to include steps for both Cinnamon and MATE.
alexboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexboss »

Wow, I followed the new instructions on this tutorial and it works now like a charm with Linux Mint Debian 201303 Cinnamon on my USB stick !

Thanks a lot guys for the update of this thread !

Best regards,

Alexandre 8)
palimmo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palimmo »

It works! LMDE 201303 64 bit Cinnamon.
Thanks.

Just one note: when I try to open Update Manager, my password isn't recognized.... and I cannot run any update.. :?
(fortunately, I can do it via terminal)
LM Cinnamon 64bit
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

Beats me. If you changed your root password, it should work wherever you need elevated privileges.
ilagi

Post by ilagi »

Hi,
I have followed all the instructions, but no luck, the USB is not persistent. I tried it two separate times and unfortunately both times I got the same.

I'm trying to create a persistent live-USB on Linux Mint 15, Cinnamon.
My syslinux.cfg is below:

Code: Select all

default menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title UNetbootin
timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
menu label Default
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper persistence quiet splash pcie_aspm=force acpi_backlight=vendor --

label ubnentry0
menu label Start Linux Mint
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper persistence quiet splash pcie_aspm=force acpi_backlight=vendor --

Would it be possible that persistence is no longer possible with Linux Mint 15?
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

This tutorial only works with Linux Mint Debian Edition. Mint 15 is based on Ubuntu, which uses casper-rw for persistence. It's actually easier to make a persistent USB with Mint 15 than with the Debian edition. If you have the iso downloaded (and course, doublechecked the MD5 sum), you can use Unetbootin or Universal USB installer to install it to a USB stick with persistence. They both provide a slider to choose up to 4GB of persistence. (4GB is the upper limit for file size in the FAT filesystem, which is required by Unetbootin and the other installers for the bootable partition.)

If you need more than that, use a live Linux installation to make the second partition on the USB stick whatever size you want, formatted to ext2 and labeled "casper-rw." I recommend you create this partition and finish resizing your boot partition before installing the OS. It should work the other way around, but this way you run little risk of corrupting the installation by resizing afterward.

After you install Mint to the USB stick, you'll have to reboot into the other Linux installation and delete the 4GB casper-rw file Unetbootin installed. Once you reboot from the USB stick, it will use your new casper-rw partition to store changes.

The other parts of this tutorial (creating a user, setting passwords, etc.) will be the same for Mint 15 as for the Debian edition.

Bottom line, wherever you see "persistence" in the tutorial change to "casper-rw" for Mint 15. Also, you do not need a "live-persistence.conf" file on the casper-rw partition. And Unetbootin will insert the proper casper-rw flag to the kernel lines in Grub for you.

Return to “LMDE Archive”