Trying to dual boot Mint 14 along Windows 8 on Lenovo y580

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AttaZahedi

Trying to dual boot Mint 14 along Windows 8 on Lenovo y580

Post by AttaZahedi »

Hello. This is my first time posting despite having used Mint for a year now.
I am having trouble with installing Mint alongside Windows 8. I have disabled secure boot, and enabled legacy mode. However when I install Mint my windows 8 OS won't boot anymore saying "files are missing". Are there any detailed walkthroughs on how to do this successfully? I am getting overly frustrated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AttaZahedi

Re: Trying to dual boot Mint 14 along Windows 8 on Lenovo y5

Post by AttaZahedi »

Thanks a bunch guys. So do I install rEFIt in Mint after I install Mint? Then how does that work?
cheZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cheZ »

any additional info on this question / subject that anyone may have , most appreciated ! BUMP :)
Linux Mint 20.3 Una 64bit Edge
Thinkpad P52 Intel Core i7-8850H 128gb DDR4
Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD 2tb SSD
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2tb SSD
Nvidia P3200 Quadro / Intel UHD 630 Graphics
15.6"1080p FHD
arealvel

Post by arealvel »

I think it is better if you reinstall Mint in UEFI mode. To do this:
With Secure boot disabled (UEFI not disabled) place your MInt's DVD in the DVD drive (or attach the USB containing Mint), enter Bios and see if in the Boot Priority Tab there is an entry for UEFI-DVD (or for the USB pendrive). Surely there will be an entry to boot from DVD (or for USB), but you've to see if there is another entry reading UEFI-DVD or something like that. If you have it: boot from that entry and install MInt. Otherwise: you should try to boot from a not-aged USB pendrive.

Return to “Installation & Boot”