HDD and SSD install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrMcKay

HDD and SSD install

Post by DrMcKay »

I'm going to buy a laptop for Linux Mint (finally decided :mrgreen: )
It's a BTO with Core i7, 12Gb of RAM, nVidia 650 with Optimus and a 256Gb SSD/1Tb 7200 rpm combo.

I'm going to install the /root directory on the SSD of course with the /home directory on the HDD for storing all my photographs, music, and... games.
Which leads me to my question : can I force Steam games to be installed on the HDD ? If not, I'm afraid my SSD will fill up pretty fast...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
petri0
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HDD and SSD install

Post by petri0 »

Yes you can. But first you have to install Steam on the HDD if I remember it right and then all the games should install there by default.
DrMcKay

Post by DrMcKay »

Just wondering. If I want to use the SSD as /root disk, would 128Gb not be enough ? It's quite a big price difference between a 128 and a 256 SSD...
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

I believe mint takes around 6 GB of space, so 10 GB would probably already be enough for the /root partition. But if you have the space it won't hurt to use a little more, some people here advice 30 GB if possible. Anyway, if I would have a 128 GB SSD, I would probably also place frequently used programs on the SSD to take full advantage of its speed. Long story short: 128 GB is plenty for just the /root partition.

Return to “Software & Applications”