remove Lubuntu, keep Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgrg

remove Lubuntu, keep Mint?

Post by bgrg »

Hi,

I installed Lubuntu alongside my existing Mint system to try it out, but now I'd like to uninstall it. How can I do it without messing up my Mint system? When I installed Lubuntu I was under the impression that this would be easy to do, but now I'm not so sure. I've tried to find a tutorial online, but all seem to be about getting pure Ubuntu, and I'm afraid those won't work in my situation.

Thanks,

greg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: remove Lubuntu, keep Mint?

Post by xenopeek »

Boot from the Linux Mint installation DVD / USB. Open GParted from there. You can then delete the Lubuntu partitions, and resize the Linux Mint partitions to reclaim the free disk space.

If you Linux Mint partition is at /dev/sda1, you can do the following to reinstall GRUB. So you are sure that the bootloader is loading GRUB from the Linux Mint partition and not trying to load it from the now non-existent Lubuntu partition. You can skip this step if you are sure Lubuntu didn't overwrite the bootloader (for example if you told its installer to not write it to /dev/sda but somewhere else). Change /dev/sda1 in below first command with the /dev/sda? name of your Linux Mint partition if that is different.

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
bgrg

Post by bgrg »

Thank you, I'll try that.
bgrg

Post by bgrg »

I had to reinstall GRUB, but after all it works, thank you again!

Return to “Installation & Boot”