Nvidia settings don't stick

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
words1

Nvidia settings don't stick

Post by words1 »

Mint 14 Mate, older GeForce 7300 card. My screen (24" Dell Led-backlit) is very bright and washed-out on Mint (no problem w/ Ubuntu 10.04 or Win 7). I have found that the best solution is to adjust the gamma setting in the monitor tab in Nvidia settings box down from 1.000 to .800. But this setting does not seem to be saved in the .nvidia-settings-rc file. Is there a way to make the gamma setting stick? All the other settings in that tab (digital vibrance, etc.) stick just fine. It's a drag to have to reset this every day.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Nvidia settings don't stick

Post by grimdestripador »

I've been 'had' by this too. You need to run

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-settings
rather than the menu entry. Then...

NVIDIA X Server Settings -> X Server Display Configuration -> Save to X Configuration File -> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
words1

Post by words1 »

Tried that, several times. Didn't work. Thanks anyway.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Any changes you make in the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility to brightness, contrast and gamma will revert back to their original default values
after restarting your system, or even after logging out and back in. If you want the changes to remain, then you will have to manually edit the
".nvidia-settings-rc" file. For the benefit of anyone else reading this topic, this is a hidden file located in "/home/your-user-name" and will only be available after installation of a Nvidia proprietary driver. Open the file and at the bottom add the line:
0/Gamma=0.800
The default value is 1.000 and any value below it will darken the screen. I have mine set to 0.900. This makes any text on the screen a little darker and easier for me to read.

To change the Gamma of only one color add the lines:
0/RedGamma=1.000 (whatever value you want)
0/GreenGamma=1.000
0/BlueGamma=1.000

Save the file. Unfortunately, if you ever reopen the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility, then these settings will be removed from this file and you will
have to manually add them back. This is not a problem for me since I will rarely need to use that utility but for others it may be a good idea to have a backup of that file. Some day if I have some extra time, I may work on this problem.
If this method does not work, then you will also have to add the following line to the xinitrc file located in "/etc/X11/xinit". Right click on the file and select "Open as Root". Open the file and add the line:
nvidia-settings --load-config-only
altscribe

Post by altscribe »

Solved this on one of my computers (the other has a whole different Nvidia prob) by simply logging out, Ctrl-Alt {2} to switch "TTY" (virtual terminal), log in as ROOT (you will need to activate the ROOT user, using the "passwd" command followed by a ROOT login is probably fastest), run X "startx", invoke nvidia-settings from a menu or terminal, adjust settings, save your ".rc" file in the /root folder.

Alternatively, you can copy the ".rc" file into the /root folder after you save your changes in your regular folder.

This did the job on one computer having your problem. No guarantees, but it's quick and easy to try...

Hope this helps,

altscribe
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The admin (sudo) user works, first user created on installation: you simply run gksu from the menu and nvidia-settings, or sudo nvidia-settings from a terminal
--if nvidia-settings can run, that changes the X-server setup configuration.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”