Stuck at KDE Login screen - Infinite loop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

Stuck at KDE Login screen - Infinite loop

Post by anandrkris »

Hi All,

I am unable to login to Linux Mint 13 KDE. What i suspect to be the issue is that root partition shows 100% usage (df) and hence unable to boot into KDE session.
What i've done so far - CTRL+ALT+F1 , login to tty1 and deleted /var/apt/archives to free up space plus some log files. Still no luck and shows 100% usage. How to clear up the space? Could it be due to corrupted files?

I faced this issue earlier but that was when i messed up some Kwin settings and had to delete .kde it to make it work. I tried moving .kde and .kdeold but didnt work this time.

Any pointers will be helpful. Also, how to view kdm error logs?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eyemeansit

Re: Stuck at KDE Login screen - Infinite loop

Post by eyemeansit »

I have the same issue, after latest updates (4/5/2013) on Linux Mint 14. The update brought in KDE 4.10.2, updating from 4.10.1, which worked fine. Keeps bringing me back to the login screen, no matter which kernel I try to boot from in grub. Not sure how to downgrade KDE, but I may have to figure it out!
ayaz99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ayaz99 »

Last night, I had exactly the same issue after I updated to KDE 4.10.2 from KDE 4.10.1 (via update manager). I have to resotre image on my hard drive to 4.10.0 :( (I did not image 4.10.1). I am running LM 14 KDE 64 bit.
Stennie

Post by Stennie »

Netrunner has the same problem. :shock:
labapare

Post by labapare »

I'm using LM 14 KDE 64 bit, can't logon after the updates from yesterday.
Trying to logon but it kicks me back to the logon screen.
But will let me logon in terminal mode.
Hope there is a quick fix, this is my main desktop.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

I'm having the same problem, with LM14... I tried to "service kdm stop" and then "startx" from a terminal and it failed, but the output didn't reveal anything. Only "xinit: connection to X server lost". Trying to log in to failsafe sessions doesn't work either.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

I have this issue even before update! Not sure. Is your root partition full since you downloaded the update packages? Check with df for disk usage and remove the /var/cache/apt/archive *.deb files if that is the case. I faced a similar issue sometime ago.
OberonKing

Post by OberonKing »

Same Here... after update to kde 4.10.2 :evil:
Maybe it's a broken .deb or dependencies issues... I don't know.
Xenuri

Post by Xenuri »

Hi I'm new here, thought id jump in and make this my first post as I've just recovered from this issue...

Ok, my solution was to first hit ctrl+alt+f1 at login and reconfigure Xorg

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
second, reboot and go into 'Recovery mode' > 'Enable Networking' & 'Fix Broken Packages' then restart, hopefully you should be good to go!
OberonKing

Post by OberonKing »

Xenuri wrote:second, reboot and go into 'Recovery mode' > 'Enable Networking' & 'Fix Broken Packages' then restart, hopefully you should be good to go!
I don't have broken packages.... what packages are you talking about??
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

I'm not sure what happened.
I decided to install mint-meta-mate so that I'd have a desktop until KDE is fixed. After the installation, MATE wasn't working properly (windows flashing and other things). I logged out and tried KDE again, and this time it worked. I uninstalled MATE and KDE still works, so... I don't know how it got fixed.
Xenuri

Post by Xenuri »

OberonKing wrote:
Xenuri wrote:second, reboot and go into 'Recovery mode' > 'Enable Networking' & 'Fix Broken Packages' then restart, hopefully you should be good to go!
I have no idea, I just tried it on the hope it would sort the problem and a whole bunch of packages were replaced
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Xenuri wrote:
OberonKing wrote:
I have no idea, I just tried it on the hope it would sort the problem and a whole bunch of packages were replaced
I tried your fix and, while there was a lot of package-updating going on, it did not solve the issue after a reboot. My desktop is still in the endless login-loop.
OberonKing

Post by OberonKing »

Maybe in a day or two I try this out again.. Maybe :smile:

Enviado desde mi GT-S5830L usando Tapatalk 2
herionz

Post by herionz »

Had the same problem as you did guys, after today morning update I couldn't get pass the login screen due to endless loop when trying to log.

I managed to solve it by:

Opening a terminal, making

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get upgrade
I had to force ubuntu ppa:/backports but after that I found a lot of packages that seem to not have been installed correctly or that were updated again later today.After doing so though, I couldn't still get pass through the login screen loop, but I checked it again and realized that just one package seem to not had uptaded, which was "kde-workspace", so just forced the package

sudo apt-get install kde-workspace
After that I was able to make a startx fine and after reboot login screen behave normal again.
I had a little panic attack when doing so because at the middle of the forced update of "kde-workspace" with the command line everything went black for a while but after a minute the monitor signal returned and everything had installed fine.

Hope it help you guys.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

herionz wrote:Had the same problem as you did guys, after today morning update I couldn't get pass the login screen due to endless loop when trying to log.

I managed to solve it by:

Opening a terminal, making

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get upgrade
I had to force ubuntu ppa:/backports but after that I found a lot of packages that seem to not have been installed correctly or that were updated again later today.After doing so though, I couldn't still get pass through the login screen loop, but I checked it again and realized that just one package seem to not had uptaded, which was "kde-workspace", so just forced the package

sudo apt-get install kde-workspace
After that I was able to make a startx fine and after reboot login screen behave normal again.
I had a little panic attack when doing so because at the middle of the forced update of "kde-workspace" with the command line everything went black for a while but after a minute the monitor signal returned and everything had installed fine.

Hope it help you guys.
Only the first of the above commands actually does anything on my rig. I think kde-workspace had already been updated on my rig. The first command is basically downloading the package headers to determine whether anything needs updating. It's going to do that whether there is anything that needs updating or not. Bear in mind I had already been doing a lot of updates earlier today.

Now when I entered startx, Presto! I'm back to my desktop. I can go into settings and instruct KDE not to give ask me the password anymore. But upon reboot, we are back to password hell. KDE does not remember that I turned the password off, and it does not care whether I enter the correct password or not, because it is determined to keep asking the password until Doom's Day. The only way to get to the desktop is, as you suggested, go to the console and enter startx, and that works until the next reboot. So this is a temporary workaround, but not a solution for me. A solution is when you reboot and the password trap is gone.
ayaz99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ayaz99 »

ayaz99 wrote:Apr 5, I had exactly the same issue after I updated to KDE 4.10.2 from KDE 4.10.1 (via update manager). I have to resotre image on my hard drive to 4.10.0 :( (I did not image 4.10.1). I am running LM 14 KDE 64 bit.
Apr 6, upgraded to 4.10.2 via terminal (from 4.10.0):

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This time it was a success, rebooted twice to ensure it does not get stuck at the login screen again so far so good. Now I have 4.10.2. Also just upgraded to Kernel 3.8.5 reboot no issues. It seems like they fixed it :) .
David Valentine

Post by David Valentine »

I am running LM 14 KDE 64 bit. Until today, it has been near perfect. After today's updates, I cannot get past the KDE login screen. I have been able to log in using console, allowing me to try the above suggestions and others (creating a new account), but none of them have worked. And yes, I had autologin enabled (I did not know that that could be an issue). For that sin, apparently, I have lost the use of my computer and now pretty much have to re-install my OS from scratch. That is not good.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Not sure, if it will fix the issue for 4.10.2, i installed GDM and configured it as default login manager instead of KDM and it worked for me!

Return to “Software & Applications”