Installer hangs at "Setting hostname"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vespoid

Installer hangs at "Setting hostname"

Post by vespoid »

The following appears in Terminal when running installer.

Code: Select all

--> Writing hostname
File "/usr/lib/live-installer/installer.py", line 319, in finish_install
hostnamefh.close()
Booting from USB created from linuxmint-201303-mate-dvd-32bit.iso. Installing to Asus Eee PC 701's internal 4GB SSD.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Installer hangs at "Setting hostname"

Post by karlchen »

Hello, vespoid.

Though I have not been able to find the minimum system requirements for Linux Mint Debian Edition 2013 March, I would be amazed if LMDE could be installed on a tiny 4 GB disk device.
The other (Ubuntu based) Linux Mint editions all specify something like 5 GB as the minimal disk space that the fresh installation will occupy. And to tell the truth, installing on a 5 GB drive will not bring any joy either. Anything below 10 GB will be too small and cause trouble pretty reliably.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
vespoid

Post by vespoid »

I find it amusing that despite your protests, the live DVD at 1.2GB runs quite happily on a 2GB USB drive. While this, if I recall correctly, is a ramdisk, I have a total of 2GB ram installed--half my disk space. I may try the install in virtualbox and dd it to the ssd. Despite many standard installs being close to 5, they include many seldom-used packages. In any case, the copying phase completed without errors.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, vespoid.

Are we talking about a live system? Or are we talking about a system which has been normally installed on a disk device (no matter whether a Sata harddisk or an internal SD card or an internal SSD)?
A live system will live on a DVD or a USB stick happily. Most live systems will require about 1 GB or sometimes 1.6 GB like my Ubuntu 12.04.2 live system. The reason that the live system does not require more disk space is that the whole system has been archived and compressed inside a squashfs filesystem. This squashfs filesystem holds much more than 1 GB or 1.6 GB of files and folders. The needed files get extracted to RAM at runtime.
Yet, if we are talking about a system which has been installed to a disk device then such a system will easily exceed 5 GB because the content of the squashfs gets extracted onto the disk permanently. Moreover most installed systems will start pulling extra packages, language support and updates, onto the disk device as well.
Putting a live system onto any device (DVD, USB pendrive, SD card) is not normally referred to as an installation.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “LMDE Archive”