Which side is alloted to Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
philippeorlando

Which side is alloted to Linux Mint?

Post by philippeorlando »

Hello,

I've installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on an older laptop running Vista.
Beautiful. I chose the option that removed Vista, as I didn't care about that OS and now I have only Linux on it and it's amazing.

I do have a nice desktop still running XP. I do want to have dual boot options, but I'm not sure I understand what I see on the screen when I choose the option: " Install Linux along Windows XP"
As I choose that option, I do see the C drive cut in two. I do see the cursor that allows me to increase or decrease the spaces, left or right.

My question is the following.
When I look at the drive divided in two, with the option to either increase or shrink one side of the other, which one is alloted to Linux?
The left or the right? I'd like to make the part alloted to Linux just 20GB so I thought I'd shrink the left part to 20GB, but nothing tells me that this is what I'm doing. What If I'm shrinking the part alloted to Windows?
Thanks
Philippe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Which side is alloted to Linux Mint?

Post by passerby »

I haven't used the side-by-side option for a while (I do it manually), but I'm sure there's some way to figure it out with the information displayed.
Can you post a screenshot of the stage of the installation you're stuck at? I'm guessing Mint is on the right (it would make more sense), but it's best not to assume.
philippeorlando

Funny, I assumed Linux was on the left!
Well, I dont' think I have access to taking a screenshot option during installation?
Do I?
passerby

Post by passerby »

My bad, I assumed you were booting into the live medium and installing from there.
You can do a straight installation (as you're apparently doing) or run the system "live" (you run the OS from the CD/DVD/USB) like you would a normal install with the option of installing it while it appears to run.

Wouldn't hurt to wait for someone who's recently used the side-by-side install option.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Windows is on the left and Linux on the right , windows likes to be the first partition.
The windows partitions should show as an ntfs system while the Linux will be ext4. Good luck :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
philippeorlando

Thanks, I'll give it a try
philippeorlando

wonderful, it worked
Thanks a lot
Phil
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

philippeorlando wrote:wonderful, it worked
Thanks a lot
Phil
your welcome enjoy ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Beginner Questions”