Mint became Ubuntu...cannot log in

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xibetacracker

Mint became Ubuntu...cannot log in

Post by xibetacracker »

Hello everyone

I'm a sudo newb....i delt with linux a decent amount and then went on a hiatius and i am now back and have an interesting issue

My linux mint would not allow the auit button log off...etc to work, i could launch applications from the menu but that was it...i rebooted using terminal. When it came back i had no gui only terminal window.

I did a apt-get install ubuntu-desktop command and rebooted. I now have a ubuntu login page. When i try to log in it bounces back to the log in page. What can i do to fix this? After some random tampering and googling i am now in as a guest account, but that is all i have gotten.

Can someone please tell me how i can fix this without doing a fresh install? I just finally got my machine how i needed it for work.

If i could fix the interface back to mint that would be great, but I have to be able to log in for sure.

Thanks Everyone in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jsplicer

Re: Mint became Ubuntu...cannot log in

Post by jsplicer »

If you get s sign in screen when your system starts up, In other words if you have to log in with your username and password. Then you should have 3 boxes at the login bottom of the window. One for terminal, one for language, and one for desktop session choice it will give you a choice of what desktops to use in this session. Choose Mate if that is your choice, and when it askes if you want this to be your default login then click yes and you should always have mate desktop loaded for you when you log innto your session.

If you have your system set up to log in automatically, then just unconfigure that to make it ask you for a user name and password, you should be able to find that in your administration/login window. You can make many choices there for how your system starts up. From just going straight into your desktop to all sorts of preferences.

Hope this helps,

John
xibetacracker

Post by xibetacracker »

That's the problem..... I have a Ubuntu login page on linux mate 14 64 bit. It gives me the option to use GNOME, GNOME 2, Cinnamon, Ubuntu.

When i try to log in , it bounces me back to the log in page. When i use ctrl +alt+ f1 and log in terminal it works and i can use terminal under my name but the gui will not load. When I do get the guest account to load it is a ubuntu interface; i can use my admin password to get su access but cannot access it under my own name.

What is causing the the password bounce on the login page? What can i do to fix my gui? Is there a package i should get with the "apt-get install" command?

Thanks for the help so far
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

I got a similar problem using linux Mint Mate 14. Only mine started with either steam or play on linux. what happens even on a freshly wiped Hard drive, the install oges fine, but when I try to log in it bounces me back to the log in screen. I cant get into the gui.

I tried on differrent hard drives, I asked for support, got ignored, so I said the heck with it and installed ubunto 12.04, which works fine. Its not as nice as linux Mint Mate 14 but at least the damn thing works.

Something got placed into the memory and when ever I place that disk in Mint14 Mate, it goes into the same routine on me, endlessly taking me back to the login screen. The shame of it is that I like Mint Mate the best, but just cant get it to run all of a sidden, and it was running fine until I messed around with Steam and play on linux....
teilnehmer

AW: Mint became Ubuntu...cannot log in

Post by teilnehmer »

Do you happen to have your session stored? Maybe in a dot folder, there's something saved that isn't working, like. cinnamon or .mate. I don't know exactly how the folders are called, but I had a similar issue with XFCE. To check if this could be it, create a new user in the terminal and see if you can login with that user. The command is sudo adduser bobthetestname, if I remember correctly.
Good luck!
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

xibetacracker wrote:That's the problem..... I have a Ubuntu login page on linux mate 14 64 bit. It gives me the option to use GNOME, GNOME 2, Cinnamon, Ubuntu.

When i try to log in , it bounces me back to the log in page. When i use ctrl +alt+ f1 and log in terminal it works and i can use terminal under my name but the gui will not load. When I do get the guest account to load it is a ubuntu interface; i can use my admin password to get su access but cannot access it under my own name.

What is causing the the password bounce on the login page? What can i do to fix my gui? Is there a package i should get with the "apt-get install" command?

Thanks for the help so far

Seems to me your Login screen is having problems. I don't like to type all what I have replied to a provious post so I'll give you a link http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=125763

Please read my reply to that thread. I hope it helps you login again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”