Utility to monitor Nvidia GPU utilization?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jesse_V

Utility to monitor Nvidia GPU utilization?

Post by Jesse_V »

I'm looking for some sort of tool that can tell me my GPU utilization in Linux. I'm running a Nvidia GTX 560TI.
nvidia-smi shows me some information, but not utilization, which it marks as N/A.
Does anyone know of any utility that does this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jesse_V

Re: Utility to monitor Nvidia GPU utilization?

Post by Jesse_V »

Any ideas?
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

I don't know if it is of any use, but it is possible to get the GPU frequency and memory frequency to show in conky, see:
http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html

I believe it also should be visible somewhere in the nvidia-settings:

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings
For both methods you probably need to have installed the proprietary nvidia drivers. Other than that and the nvidia-smi command, I would have no idea.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

I believe Nvidia's utilities only fully support a few select GPUs. If nvidia-smi doesn't provide you with the information I can't imagine any other utility would either.
semicolon

Post by semicolon »

Jamesc359 wrote:I believe Nvidia's utilities only fully support a few select GPUs. If nvidia-smi doesn't provide you with the information I can't imagine any other utility would either.
nvidia-smi doesn't show the gpu load for me neither, but I can get the gpu frequency in conky and there is also some gpu load indication showing in the nvidia-settings
WhiteNinja

Post by WhiteNinja »

just try gkrellm (synaptics). It works for my nvidia-card (590 gtx) even with quad-sli
gkrellm has several extensions like cpu sensor, velocity, for hdd, network and some more

have fun
Jesse_V

Post by Jesse_V »

WhiteNinja wrote:just try gkrellm (synaptics). It works for my nvidia-card (590 gtx) even with quad-sli
gkrellm has several extensions like cpu sensor, velocity, for hdd, network and some more

have fun
Thanks very much! Does it show GPU utilization for your GTX 590 by default, or did you have to install an additional component?

Return to “Hardware Support”