[Mint 14] installing without wireless OR wired connection

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pianoplunkster

[Mint 14] installing without wireless OR wired connection

Post by pianoplunkster »

(x-posted from Reddit! Figured it was better to ask here)

From what I've Googled, Broadcom wireless drivers are a frequent headache for Linux installs. I've tried running both Cinnamonx64 and MATEx64 Live CDs to ensure that I'll be able to install packages without any problems (I severely messed up when I installed Ubuntu 12.04 a while back and spent a frantic weekend trying to fix the resultant clusterf*** due to the same problem), but I can't get either sesson to detect my wireless, and I don't have a wired connection that I can utilize to get around this.

I have an HPdv5 notebook. The output of lspci -vvnn | grep 14e4 gives me this:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)

There's a touchpad button that enables/disables the driver, but it stubbornly remains red when I'm in the Live CD session, so enabling it with a hardware switch seems to be a no go.

I know there's a way to manually install the wireless driver, but I don't want to run the Mint install until I'm certain that I'll have a reliable internet connection by the time I'm done (I need to be able to ssh into my work computer).

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [Mint 14] installing without wireless OR wired connectio

Post by catweazel »

You may find this helpful.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Installation & Boot”