Cinnamon and Gnome 3.8?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Cinnamon and Gnome 3.8?

Post by InkKnife »

I am interested in installing Gnome 3.8 but I remember seeing occasional comments saying that Cinnamon does not play well with the full Gnome DE. Does anyone have any experience?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon and Gnome 3.8?

Post by cmost »

Cinnamon is not compatible with Gnome 3.8. A quick search of the Net has revealed this to be the reason why Arch and Fedora are dropping support for Cinnamon. In fact, the Cinnamon based Arch derivitive Cinnarch will be switching to Gnome as its default desktop and thus changing it's name to something else. Mint's focus is on Mint, not other distros that may move faster than Mint. My advice is if you want to enjoy Cinnamon, then stick to Mint and whatever version of Gnome it is using.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

fedora hasent said anything about dropping cinnamon. Only arch and a coupple of minor arch based distros. Not really a big deal. Most distros are not using 3.8 at the moment or are based on arch so really nothing to get worked up about
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I was only curious to see what new things Gnome has done in 3.8 but not curious enough to mess with my lovely Mint install.
Thanks for the feedback.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

I sent a email to the person that does the porting of cinnamon for fedora and he said cinnamon is still going to have a future with fedora and hes working on fedora 19 now.

Return to “Cinnamon”