100+ titles in Steam already :-)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

100+ titles in Steam already :-)

Post by anandrkris »

http://www.linuxgamerzone.com/index.php ... d-counting How many did you buy?
Shamefully, i bought none. Just played TF2 for free. :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gemini89

Re: 100+ titles in Steam already :-)

Post by gemini89 »

I´ve bought 11 games so far. Thinking about buying Oil rush, which was released the day before yesterday.

The most games are FPS though, missing some good strategy and RPG games. I´ve try´d Champions of Regnum, but the graphics
won´t work properly unfortunately.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gemini89 wrote:I´ve bought 11 games so far.
A waste of a whole dollar in my opinion. Most of the linux games seem to be fairly poor.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

catweazel wrote:A waste of a whole dollar in my opinion. Most of the linux games seem to be fairly poor.
I wouldn´t call Counter Strike poor, but you got a point. Most games are small indie games.

On the other hand, I haven´t payed much for my games, all of them was on sale, and I really want to support Steam for Linux, so I don´t think it´s a waste.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

and I really want to support Steam for Linux, so I don´t think it´s a waste
that's precisely the whole point. .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

Wow, that's kind of harsh. Most of these games sell for $2.5-$5 on sale, I'm left wondering what do you expect for $5? Even if you don't care for any of the games, the implication that supporting Steam on Linux isn't worthwhile is kind of shocking. Linux may not need Valve/Steam and their catalog of games to continue forward, but having them is going to benefit both Linux and users in the long run.

If Steam fails it's a safe bet that none of the bigger (everything is relative) developers/publishers will even give Linux a second thought for at least half a decade.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Jamesc359 wrote:Wow, that's kind of harsh. ...the implication that supporting Steam on Linux isn't worthwhile is kind of shocking.
I'm entitled to my opinion, and the implication has been manufactured entirely by your imagination, not written by me. If you want to throw your money away on mostly childish games designed for ten year olds just because you believe you're supporting linux then, by all means, throw your money away. As for me, I'll just keep making regular donations to Linux Mint.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

catweazel wrote:I'm entitled to my opinion, and the implication has been manufactured entirely by your imagination, not written by me.
Yes you are entitled to your opinion. At no point did I say you weren't.
catweazel wrote:If you want to throw your money away on mostly childish games designed for ten year olds just because you believe you're supporting linux then, by all means, throw your money away.
I would never waste my money on "childish games" in the belief that I was some how supporting Linux. I purchase and play games for both Windows and Linux that I feel are worth my money and time.
catweazel wrote:As for me, I'll just keep making regular donations to Linux Mint.
Bless your heart.
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

Jamesc359 wrote:Wow, that's kind of harsh. Most of these games sell for $2.5-$5 on sale, I'm left wondering what do you expect for $5?
Well I agree it´s not a lot of money, but it´s better then nothing. I have a quite limited budget, so if the games we´re more expensive, I would have bought less.

And it isn´t all about the money, it´s also about people playing the games at all, showing that there´s people who want games for Linux.

catweazel wrote:If you want to throw your money away on mostly childish games designed for ten year olds just because you believe you're supporting linux then, by all means, throw your money away.
What kind of games are not childish in your opinion? Just curious.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

gemini89 wrote:
Jamesc359 wrote:Wow, that's kind of harsh. Most of these games sell for $2.5-$5 on sale, I'm left wondering what do you expect for $5?
Well I agree it´s not a lot of money, but it´s better then nothing. I have a quite limited budget, so if the games we´re more expensive, I would have bought less.

And it isn´t all about the money, it´s also about people playing the games at all, showing that there´s people who want games for Linux.
Please don't take offense at my comments. They were in no way directed at you. :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Jamesc359 wrote: Yes you are entitled to your opinion. At no point did I say you weren't.
I know that, but that won't stop me from reinforcing my entitlement :mrgreen:
catweazel wrote:As for me, I'll just keep making regular donations to Linux Mint.
Bless your heart.
What heart? I'm 84 years old. When the quacks took my last set of chest xrays all they found was a brick swinging on a rope.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gemini89 wrote:What kind of games are not childish in your opinion? Just curious.
HAWX 2. That covers the field, I reckon.
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

Jamesc359 wrote:Please don't take offense at my comments. They were in no way directed at you. :)
Oh sorry I thought so. But well, I still feel a bit guilty for buying all those games for a really small amount. Unfortunately I´m like most people, greedy.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

joetheblow81

Post by joetheblow81 »

How the hell are FTL, Spacechem and Amnesia "childish" or not deserving of any money???
Whatever.

Love the way its pay once, play on any system, i have nearly the whole lot just from years of Steam sales on the windows side.
I just logged in now to see that my copy of Euro Truck Sim 2 in my Linux games list, holy shit!
HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

What heart? I'm 84 years old. When the quacks took my last set of chest xrays all they found was a brick swinging on a rope.
I am 50.. and man, I must say it: Restpect.. 8) I do repair computers for 13 years now, and at certain age people just think: "let me alone, I am too old for that.." So I am wondering how did you manage get in the tech in the first place?
What heart?
I do dringk a glas of wine each day.. sometimes two, sometimes none.. depends on the pain I have in my chest.. I think it's reasonable, and helps delute all the fat we eat, and that clogs our tubes.. :wink:
Now.. to the subject: I did play all the X games from Egosoft.. and I can assure you this game will bring your brain to smoke.. Yes, there are plots in the game, but you are free to accept them or not.. My days when I did fly around ond shoot something are gone.. yes I do fight, when I must.. but mostly I build gigantic economic Empire, where I can buy anything, do anything I want.. the reqirements for HUB are crazy.. but I did succed in the end.. I did try to capture the Boron Orca like 20 times.. but in the end I did manage having my Head Quarters too..
Can't say too much about other games.. but I would buy the X Games even for 50 €.. and I will definatly buy the next one.. because it will be optimised for multicore CPU's.. 8) but I will probably wait until it will be ported to Linux.
Booman

Post by Booman »

did anyone notice the Steam games are up to 300?

A lot of indie titles and jewel shooters, but there are a few winners in my book!

Here is a nice comprehensive list: [url=http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Name&sort_order=ASC&os=linux#sort_by=Name&sort_order=ASC&os=linux&page=1]Steam Games[/url]

I like the fact that all of my Valve games originally purchased for windows are now appearing in Linux Steam:
Left4Dead
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Counter-Strike: Source

and I've picked up some new games:
Trine
Amnesia
Brutal Legend
Psychonauts
Stacking
Costume Quest
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

Booman wrote:did anyone notice the Steam games are up to 300?
I´m not trying to be pessimistic here, but there aren´t 300 games, a lot of the "games" on that list are DLC.

But we´ll get to 300 sooner or later. :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

If Steam fails it's a safe bet that none of the bigger (everything is relative) developers/publishers will even give Linux a second thought for at least half a decade.
something like that ..
- support Mint, as well, so that Five Bucks, is gonna have to go a lonnnng waaaay :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Booman

Post by Booman »

gemini89 wrote:
Booman wrote:did anyone notice the Steam games are up to 300?
I´m not trying to be pessimistic here, but there aren´t 300 games, a lot of the "games" on that list are DLC.

But we´ll get to 300 sooner or later. :)
Good point, there are a lot of expansions and downloadable content for a few games. I'm not sure why Steam is showing those as separate? maybe for the numbers?

But I'm still impressed with Steam so far... I never thought it would get THIS far...
If you follow kickstarter games & moddb.com , there are a bunch of new games featuring Linux ports too!

Return to “Gaming”