How to disable journaling on ext4?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DriveR

Post by DriveR »

Hello!
On the Internet, a lot of different advice, but no one to MINT14
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to disable journaling on ext4?

Post by xenopeek »

I wouldn't recommend doing that. The risk you take with your data files by disabling journaling isn't offset by any imagined physical life span extension of your SSD. This advice to disable journaling stems back to the days when cheap SSDs were often fake goods; basically compact flash cards with an IDE connector :| Modern SSDs do automatic wear leveling, so if you stick to reputable manufacturers this shouldn't be a worry for you. My SSD from Intel has been purring for 4 years now, without any sign of trouble. Same for my 3 year old SSD from OCZ.

To disable journaling, I would boot from your Linux Mint installation DVD / USB. That way you know you aren't using your partitions (as they aren't mounted). From there run the commands:

Code: Select all

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sdXY
e2fsck -f /dev/sdXY
Where you replace /dev/sdXY with your device name and number for the partition you want to disable journaling on. For example /dev/sda1 for the first partition on the first disk. If you don't know, run the following command to list your partitions:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
Before you do anything funky with your file system though, back up any important personal files!!!

Return to “Other topics”