Newb needing 3rd party Cloud program Install help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Newb needing 3rd party program Install help

Post by wilbobob »

From reading other threads my impression is that some things that run on Mint 13 don't on Mint 14. It might be worth trying the 32bit Mint 13 on your machine if you're not fixed on using 14.
Go Steady, but keep going
The.Linux.Experiment

Post by The.Linux.Experiment »

Well no reply from support today with another build option or otherwise...

Wilbobob,
I had similar thoughts about trying other distros to see if that made a difference. I had tried the latest Kubuntu, no success. Then I tried Xubuntu LTS to see if a older kernel helped while experiencing another Desktop :P So now I have a excuse to try out Cinnnamon, here I come 13! (Yes I was on 14 (mate))

I'll let ya know if that makes a difference.
The.Linux.Experiment

Woot! I'm in business. They had replied with yet another build for me to try but m spam filters had started blocking there emails. At any rate for anyone looking to use the software on a 32bit system the below build worked for me. Feel free to use the link if needed.

https://www.copy.com/s/nLh1qQj1WR9Z/cop ... 0.0135.tgz

So now that I found the solution for the 32bit OS issue, one last plug :shock: . If you are interested in cloud space they are giving away 5 gb per new account and an extra 5gb per referral/referee so feel free to use my referral link https://copy.com?r=A0im67

:mrgreen:
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I thought MATE used Nemo as its file manager instead of Nautilus? If so, could that be part of your problems?

BtW, don't any of these file-sharing repository gizmos allow the user to simply access their data in the same way that the user accesses directories on other computers on his/her local network? Seems like it'd make things a whole lot easier since the user could then use the tools built into pretty much every modern file manager (even Xfce's Thunar has a "Network" section in its left-hand area, although PCManFM seems to lack that) or via an app such as gigolo (its description in Synaptic Package Manager: "Gigolo is a frontend to easily manage connections to remote filesystems using GIO/GVfs. It allows you to quickly connect/mount a remote filesystem
and manage bookmarks of such.") which has the advantage of being in our repos and ready to install with nothing more than a couple mouse-clicks.

EDIT: Also, how do you like that Copy . com file storage service? Is there something that rates it higher, in your opinion, than other comparable services that you have tried? Or is it the only one you have tried so far? I couldn't even get its homepage to display in Firefox without allowing it to run its script on my computer (I use the NoScript script-blocker add-on), which I don't generally do with unknown websites. In the past, I didn't bother learning about these kinds of businesses for a variety of reasons (worry that my data would be examined by others, worry that it might not be accessible when I needed it, et cetera) and so now I am trying to play catch-up. To be honest, I didn't really see the point in terms of benefit to a single user (as opposed to, for example, a corporate environment where several people need to share files amongst themselves but none of them can manage to set up a network, lol). One of my friends wanted "portable storage" that he could use on several computers in his home and even access on other people's computers - so he purchased a 500 gig Toshiba external USB hard drive before Christmas a year or two ago for around $59. It's about the same size as his cell phone, so it is most definitely portable and after I saw him forget that it was attached to his laptop when he picked it (the laptop) up from my kitchen counter, causing the drive to get lifted into the air and then come unattached, bounce halfway down my basement stairs and from there onto the concrete basement floor ( :lol: ) and continue to work, I gather that those things are fairly durable. Is it that you can get better throughput via one of those file services than the ~22megs/second or so that I was able to observe when I borrowed his external drive? I'm just kind of confused as to the appeal to the average person. As for my sudden interest... I am coming to terms with the fact that I'll probably be as poor in the future as I am now and, frankly, that $59 is like two weeks' worth of groceries, so a free data "device" has got me interested. The hard drive on the loaner laptop I have been using seems to be failing. It has USB (but only 1 meg/second USB 1.x :cry: ), but cannot boot from it. I think I can download something to a floppy disk that would tell the laptop to boot from USB. I have a 128meg USB flash drive. Would I be able to install Mint onto one of those file storage services and then put some kind of app on my flash drive - or better yet, "cut out the middleman" and place it onto a floppy if it is small enough? - to tell that laptop to boot from that remote storage service and load Mint from it?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
The.Linux.Experiment

MtnDewManiac wrote:I thought MATE used Nemo as its file manager instead of Nautilus? If so, could that be part of your problems?

BtW, don't any of these file-sharing repository gizmos allow the user to simply access their data in the same way that the user accesses directories on other computers on his/her local network? Seems like it'd make things a whole lot easier since the user could then use the tools built into pretty much every modern file manager (even Xfce's Thunar has a "Network" section in its left-hand area, although PCManFM seems to lack that) or via an app such as gigolo (its description in Synaptic Package Manager: "Gigolo is a frontend to easily manage connections to remote filesystems using GIO/GVfs. It allows you to quickly connect/mount a remote filesystem
and manage bookmarks of such.") which has the advantage of being in our repos and ready to install with nothing more than a couple mouse-clicks.

EDIT: Also, how do you like that Copy . com file storage service? Is there something that rates it higher, in your opinion, than other comparable services that you have tried? Or is it the only one you have tried so far? I couldn't even get its homepage to display in Firefox without allowing it to run its script on my computer (I use the NoScript script-blocker add-on), which I don't generally do with unknown websites. In the past, I didn't bother learning about these kinds of businesses for a variety of reasons (worry that my data would be examined by others, worry that it might not be accessible when I needed it, et cetera) and so now I am trying to play catch-up. To be honest, I didn't really see the point in terms of benefit to a single user (as opposed to, for example, a corporate environment where several people need to share files amongst themselves but none of them can manage to set up a network, lol). One of my friends wanted "portable storage" that he could use on several computers in his home and even access on other people's computers - so he purchased a 500 gig Toshiba external USB hard drive before Christmas a year or two ago for around $59. It's about the same size as his cell phone, so it is most definitely portable and after I saw him forget that it was attached to his laptop when he picked it (the laptop) up from my kitchen counter, causing the drive to get lifted into the air and then come unattached, bounce halfway down my basement stairs and from there onto the concrete basement floor ( :lol: ) and continue to work, I gather that those things are fairly durable. Is it that you can get better throughput via one of those file services than the ~22megs/second or so that I was able to observe when I borrowed his external drive? I'm just kind of confused as to the appeal to the average person. As for my sudden interest... I am coming to terms with the fact that I'll probably be as poor in the future as I am now and, frankly, that $59 is like two weeks' worth of groceries, so a free data "device" has got me interested. The hard drive on the loaner laptop I have been using seems to be failing. It has USB (but only 1 meg/second USB 1.x :cry: ), but cannot boot from it. I think I can download something to a floppy disk that would tell the laptop to boot from USB. I have a 128meg USB flash drive. Would I be able to install Mint onto one of those file storage services and then put some kind of app on my flash drive - or better yet, "cut out the middleman" and place it onto a floppy if it is small enough? - to tell that laptop to boot from that remote storage service and load Mint from it?

Regards,
MDM
I tried different file managers even different distros, that wasnt the issue. The issue was the application itself, its build wasnt resolved for 32bit compatibility with the newer kernel I was running vs whatever it was originally built for. It was resolved with the new build they provided me with through my support ticket, build linked in my post above.

Response to your Next paragraph. You mentioned file sharing/ repository and synaptic package manager, I think you are getting things blended. This doesnt have anything to do with repositories or package managers. It's simply a tool that allows you to sync your files across multiple systems and devices using a web service kinda like itunes does with say a mac and a ipod at the same time. Plus you have the option to access your files being hosted on the 'cloud' remotely via an oridanary web browser interface.

next paragraphs response, shewww thats alot to respond to in one swoop :o . I'll try and separate it out..
>Yes I like the Copy.com service. I've also used and still use other comparable services (if for no other reason than additional space). For me a major driving factor in leaning more towards Copy is the sheer volume of potential free space you can have with them given there current referal program. I'm already capped out on ones like googledrive, ubuntuone, dropbox and some others. And as example I need to keep my dropbox more work than personal because of shared project files between consultants so my space gets ate up. To me the interface of Copy is right up there even with dropbox with some aspects even being better, i think googledrives interface is the worst IMHO.
>Sensitive data and companies right to change service terms. Yea, I definitelly recommend using your better judgement and be sure to have a backup in any case. I typically don't put anything sensitive out there, granted I may have some embarising photos which I would prefer not just anyone view but it would not be detrimental if someone else did get there hands on them as compared to say a copy of my tax filings with soc sec #, income, address etc..
>Yea I can see your point of a portable storage device such as a external harddrive, thumbdrive etc.. This isn't a bad option and I do use portable devices but this isn't always practical. For example maybe I'm out and about and somebody wants to see a photo, I can pull out my phone and access my files. Maybe I'm traveling without my laptop - I can access it on a public web browser like the hotels pc. Maybe I just simply don't want to lug a device around to keep multiple copies of the same file in sync like a report I maybe working on. Anyway the list can go, the short of it is, its just way more flexible in my book. Regarding speed, yea you would definitely have more speed with say a usb3 ext hdd over this but even with the limitiations of highspeed internet it still seems sufficient for my purposes. Oh just thought of another aspect I really like using this for, I can send a private password protected url to friends/family (spread all over the globe) a 1gb video of my newborn, a portable HDD option for this does not even come close to appling and forget emailing a 1gb file unless you again use a ftp link, 3rd part file sending service etc.
>The loaner laptop hd failing thing, sorry to hear, make sure you have a good backup ASAP! As far as trying to boot from the remote storage, I'm not aware of a method to get that to work becuase typically you have to have a system up and running to use some interface to access your account/files. But who knows maybe they will introduce a netboot option of sorts in the future - thats well beyond my knowledge as a end user of the product :). Also on installing mint to a 128mb usb flash drive I don't believe it would fit even repackaging it without a Desktop enviroment etc., maybe I'm wrong... However take a look a puppylinux - they have a OS developed just for this purpose at only ~50mb for the entire system which can be put on a bootbable usbpen.

Hope that was helpful - G'luck!

P.S. Copy is free, it doesn't cost you anything to try it out :) Unistall it if you don't like it. Just use my sig referal link :D
The.Linux.Experiment

Re: Newb needing 3rd party Cloud program Install help

Sorry I referenced puppy linux distro above - got my distros confused. What I meant to reference was damn small linux...

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Sorry to have steered you wrong, g'luck!
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

The.Linux.Experiment wrote:Woot! I'm in business. They had replied with yet another build for me to try but m spam filters had started blocking there emails. At any rate for anyone looking to use the software on a 32bit system the below build worked for me. Feel free to use the link if needed.

https://www.copy.com/s/nLh1qQj1WR9Z/cop ... 0.0135.tgz

So now that I found the solution for the 32bit OS issue, one last plug :shock: . If you are interested in cloud space they are giving away 5 gb per new account and an extra 5gb per referral/referee so feel free to use my referral link https://copy.com?r=A0im67

:mrgreen:
Thanks for the link to the newer version it works fine with Linux Mint 14 KDE.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Return to “Beginner Questions”