Ubuntu Raring - a dog, not a ringtail!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Re: Ubuntu Raring - a dog, not a ringtail!

Post by Brahim Salem »

JWJones wrote:Wow, seriously? Out of curiosity, I decided to download Lubuntu 13.04 and give it a whirl. Changing from the /home directory to the /Applications directory in PCManFM yielded this. So much for "release it on this date, no matter what!" distros.

"Time to die is over. It is time to bury the dead"
. Ubuntu is officially dead :lol:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

me too tdockery97 :lol:
I am retired also and that gives too much time to "play"....he he
Now that my 13.04 development has finalized, i was tempted to move it into 13.10 development...though i am a bit shaky about doing it :wink:
13.04 is running so smooth for me...

@ viking: yeah, i suspect the trouble you are having with 13.04 are likely due to the way it was set up...probably if done fresh (instead of upgrade method) and separated completely from your other distros, then a good chance it would be an entirely different experience...

Also, would like to make a suggestion...but this would only apply if you use either Google Chromium or Google Chrome (i use Chrome as my main browser)...if you do, i have an excellent substitute for you which i use (like you i use gmail as my main mail account)...get the extension called: Google Mail Checker Plus Classic 1.0...it's a perfect replacement for checkgmail!
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

Brahim wrote:
JWJones wrote:Wow, seriously? Out of curiosity, I decided to download Lubuntu 13.04 and give it a whirl. Changing from the /home directory to the /Applications directory in PCManFM yielded this. So much for "release it on this date, no matter what!" distros.
"Time to die is over. It is time to bury the dead". Ubuntu is officially dead :lol:
The really sad thing here is that this bug is consistent and repeatable: it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. How am I supposed to take a distro seriously that can't even get basic stuff right? To their credit, the Mint folks seem to be able to fix these little issues from upstream before they release, so that's a good thing. I have found these little issues with EVERY *buntu release as far back as I can recall, whether from live disk, or installed, which is why I ultimately abandoned it as an option, and moved on to Debian, Mint, and Slackware.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Thanks craig10x. Actually I don't use Chrome or Chromium, and so I don't know anything about the Google mail checker add-on, but common sense tells me that if it is a browser extension then it would require me to leave my browser open all the time in order to check my mail. I don't find that acceptable. That is why checkgmail is so essential to me, it lives in the panel (except on Ubuntu 13.04 where it doesn't any more).

Of course if I am wrong please let me know, if I could get something as good as checkgmail, but without all the hassle of trying to keep it running every time google or canonical change their software I would seriously consider trying Chrome again. I have had so many problems with Chrome/Chromium in the past - starts off blazingly fast and after a few months it just freezes all the time and becomes unusable - that I ditched it permanently (or so I thought at the time). However a lot of those problems seemed to be related to Nvidia graphics and I have Intel now so maybe Chrome would be OK again.

For now it is no longer an issue as I have decided to stay with 12.10 and checkgmail works on that, and on Mint 14.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

@JWJones: Something to keep in mind with Ubuntu, especially since using Unity/Compiz, is that if you even sneeze or hiccup you get one of those error messages on your screen. I have yet to have it be a showstopping problem, and there is a solution so that you just won't see them anymore:

Open terminal and using either gksu or gksudo (whichever works):

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/default/apport
Where it says "Enabled=1" simply change it to "Enabled=0" to disable it. Save and close. No more pesky error reports and your system should run just fine.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

tdockery97 wrote:@JWJones: Something to keep in mind with Ubuntu, especially since using Unity/Compiz, is that if you even sneeze or hiccup you get one of those error messages on your screen. I have yet to have it be a showstopping problem, and there is a solution so that you just won't see them anymore:

Open terminal and using either gksu or gksudo (whichever works):

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/default/apport
Where it says "Enabled=1" simply change it to "Enabled=0" to disable it. Save and close. No more pesky error reports and your system should run just fine.
No, thanks. Between these niggling issues, the spyware (yes, I know you can turn it off; it's the principle of the matter), etc., I think I'll just stick with Slackware.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

@viking777: yeah you do have to keep the browser open (it's added next to the url line on the chrome browser...but it does work great, has the mail previews, "ding" sound when a mail comes in and if you leave at least 1 mail unopen, you can even compose a mail without actually going into the gmail account!

Also, now that you have intel, i would say give chrome another shot...i think there's a good chance it will run well for you...great on my intel! Nice part of chrome over chromium: built in up-to-date flash, built in pdf reader, updater added to your software sources automatically... :)
Last edited by craig10x on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

I have tested in Live, the new images of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu 13.04. I think the changes were more esthetic level, but in the background are the about the same as previous versions, but they work a little faster. It is unforgivable that, with final versions, these errors appear .... In the short time that I was using Kubuntu and Xubuntu did not give me any problems, Ubuntu froze me twice ..... Oh Unity, Unity !!!! Also prefer Unity over Gnome 3.

On my machine I have installed Linux Mint 13 and Kubuntu 12.04, both LTS. If you want to try, go ahead, but to install suggest you wait another year to see how the new versions LTS come. For my liking another mistake of this is to reduce the time people support these versions .... Nine months nothing else really seems little hope, directly LTS versions. Greetings.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

For what it's worth, a review of Ubuntu 13.04, for those interested: http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2013/04/25/ubuntu-13-04/

Kind of a lukewarm review (four out of five rating), although, among other things, the author said:
I didn’t see any noticeable speed or stability problems in this release.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Thread: Kubuntu 13.04 Live CD No Menu Button
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12622122
45 views and no replies doesn't look good.

Tried the Live CD and first time ran into a problem right at the start.
No KDE Menu,No Sound,Wifi icons systray?
Posted there in Ubuntu forums but haven't received any responses yet if it a unique situation just for me.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

Started out with Gnome Shell Remix 12.04; upgraded to 12.10 and last week upgraded to 13.04. Only issue was with the change to resolvconf in 12.10. Installed Gnome3-Team PPA and now running the latest Gnome Desktop

Last edited by SurfaceUnits on Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Dear, with a little available time, I tried absolutely all new editions of the Ubuntu family, not to bore you I will be quite brief, I will discuss what I found different flavors of this distribution:

Kubuntu 13.04 - Conclusion: Excellent, continuing to improve even more.-

Xubuntu 13.04 - Conclusion: Excellent, but not too many changes.-

Ubuntu 13.04 - Conclusion: Pretty good, better, but needs to be improved even more.-

Lubuntu 13.04 - Conclusion: Good, needs to improve several things to the next.-

Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 - Conclusion: Very good, really surprised me, the best Gnome 3 desktop I have tasted so far.

Ubuntu Kylin 13.04 - Conclusion: Do not panic, it is not in Chinese only, has the other languages ​​as well, when the download had that fear. Basically the same as Ubuntu, with some additions (how the Chinese calendar). It works well, but like Ubuntu needs to improve certain things yet.-
pfeiffep

Post by pfeiffep »

I tested raring daily on 2 machines for a month an a half - was totally impressed with the speed and responsiveness compared to 12.10. I 'tried' an upgrade on my HP Tower and it was SO SLOW :( I finally aborted it, repartitioned and did a fresh install and customization in less time that the 'upgrade'. The HP was hard wired to the router!

I didn't bother on my laptop with anything except using dd from external to internal.

So now I'm evaluating LM 14 cinnamon on both machines. I like cinnamon so much that I installed the theme :mrgreen: in my Ubuntu 13.04 installation.

WRT being a dog or not IMO Raring is a definite hit on my hardware. I do, however, like the fact that Ubuntu 13.04 is running a newer kernel :) than LM 14
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I am currently trying Voyager 13.04. Lovely.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I'm a bit late replying to this I know, been away a while. I stand by what I said about Raring though, not worth installing, especially with only about 6 months support left already :!:

I have removed 12.10 and reinstalled 12.04. Nearly 4 years support, checkgmail appears in the system tray and I can get the superb 'dodge windows' launcher behaviour back on dual monitors which I can't do with either 12.10 or 13.04.

I can't see me changing Ubuntu again until 2017 when I am forced to do so and if it hasn't improved by then I will probably ditch it altogether, which is a shame because I like Unity so much.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with 13.04....i have been running it since release and it's been rock solid and stable for me with unity running even better then ever...In fact, after having 12.04 and 12.10 i find 13.04 to be the best one yet...

Return to “Chat about Linux”