How to Guide - Realtek RTL8111/8168B

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
nounours18200

Re: How to Guide - Realtek RTL8111/8168B

Post by nounours18200 »

but it appears r8169 is already working at you. Note that this is your wired ethernet. Your wireless has nothing to do with r8169 vs r8168.
Maybe I am wrong or I have received bad information from other sites. Let me explain what the problem is: my WIFi connection works perfectly, but I have a problem with my WIRED ethernet connection: I got the error message "wired connection disconnected". It looks like my ethernet chip of my motherboard (an Asus P6T) is sont recognized by Mint.

I have been told to follow the procedure at the begining of this topic: is the thing to do for you or do you have another idea ? if you recommend me to continue, then I will perform the "sudo make install" command that you have suggested, if not I will do not nothing unless crying because I cannot use by wired ethernet connection ! (to date I got no answer on the other forums to sove this pb).

Thank for your advice,
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

If one type of connection is enabled, you should disable the other one. There is no link aggregation between wifi and wire and potential ip address conflicts if both are activated at the same time on the same network. This explains the "disconnected wire" (by the network manager) when your wifi is enabled.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ok, so r8169 is indeed not working well.

@ eanfrid: IP address conflicts would not lead to a disconnected network connection, but to problems reaching computers connected to one of the networks. If both wired & wireless connect directly to the same router, you should not have problems since then all IPs on the network are reachable both ways.

It is easy to revert installation, so you can go on with sudo make install.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

@AlbertP: yes, this is what I meant: there are potential routing/gateway problems since the PC is reachable through 2 ip adresses. This is probably why Network Manager disables the ethernet link when wifi is active.

To make sure that the ethernet connection does not work, nounours18200 should manually disable wifi (for troubleshooting purpose) when trying to use ethernet. If the ethernet suddendly works then it is a Network Manager config issue.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

eanfrid wrote:This is probably why Network Manager disables the ethernet link when wifi is active.
NetworkManager does not as far as I know. And the same computer being reachable on two different IPs is not a problem. It is only a problem if the computer is connected to two different networks which use the same subnet.
Tyox80

Post by Tyox80 »

Moved on the good place ;) (i think)
Last edited by Tyox80 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ Tyox80: Please open a new topic about this problem. This topic is meant as a how-to for r8168, not a place to come with all your Realtek ethernet problems. A number of people with Realtek ethernet have been helped here already but I think it's better to use new topics for this.
mr_shr

Post by mr_shr »

nounours18200 wrote:I finally succeeded in running the autorun.sh:
elodie@elodie /media/elodie/SATA_06/SOURCES_L/Driver_Realtek_8111_Ethernet/r8168-8.035.00 $ sudo bash autorun.sh
[sudo] password for elodie:

Check old driver and unload it.
rmmod r8169
Build the module and install
Backup r8169.ko
rename r8169.ko to r8169.bak
DEPMOD 3.5.0-17-generic
load module r8168
Updating initramfs. Please wait.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic
Warning: No support for locale: fr_FR.utf8
Completed.
But the next command suggested at the very beginning of this post does not run:
elodie@elodie /media/elodie/SATA_06/SOURCES_L/Driver_Realtek_8111_Ethernet/r8168-8.035.00 $ sudo cp src/r8168.ko /lib/modules/3.0.0-1-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/
cp: impossible de créer le fichier standard «/lib/modules/3.0.0-1-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/»: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
the system says that there is no file or folder of this type...

Any advices ?
thanks !
edenia_soul

Post by edenia_soul »

Everything worked perfectly ! Thanks a lot rarsa for this article! I am using Linux Mint 14 with kernel 3.5. I had fresh install and after I updated it every browser i had opened web pages for ages. I went through downloading the driver and after “sudo ./autorun.sh” everything went back to normal. I suspected the driver but I'm still new to Linux ..so...thanks again!

Return to “Tutorials”