start-up screen [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaTorbiera

start-up screen [SOLVED]

Post by DaTorbiera »

Hello there,

Having tried LXDE, GNOME and KDE, I thought I should give XFCE a go. so far so good, but I do have one question. With the other desktop environments I could easly change the time-out on the first screen to 0 seconds to have my computer boot straight into the default item on the boot menue. I haven't managed to work that out for Xfce though. Can somebody give me some pointers ?

Cheers

Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Re: start-up screen

Post by herbie643 »

If you are referring to the Grub timeout you can edit /etc/default/grub and on line 9 is the

GRUB_TIMEOUT=30 (I believe the default is 5)

Change it to 0
then

update-grub
Big.J

Re: start-up screen

Post by Big.J »

If you prefer a gui to do it, install StartUp Manager from the repo. I have just done that in Xfce v13 and it works ok as I need it very short so the kids are less likely to press anything! You can also play with the resolution to make the grub menu various sizes.

p.s Congratulations, you are the first person I have helped (well I hope so) as I have just joined. 8)

Return to “Xfce”