asrock utilities/software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
av8tor

asrock utilities/software

Post by av8tor »

Hello all....I have an Asrock FM2A85X Extreme4-M and I'm having problems installing the AsRock Extreme Tuner and other software that came with the motherboard..ie XFast USB, XFast Lan etc. stuff like that. I installed AXUT using Wine and it installed but wont work ...."Driver cannot be loaded try to re-install again, if it happens again report the problem with as much detail as possible" Range check error.
So is this where I report the problem? (I have tried installing twice and see no need to try again.)
If so I using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon, A10 5800K Black Edition APU with the mobo stated above,8GBs of 1866 GSkill ram, BluRay burner and SSD for os and WD 1TB Red HDD for storage.
Any help will be appreciated.....thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: asrock utilities/software

Post by xenopeek »

av8tor wrote:So is this where I report the problem?
Well, yes and no. No in the sense that ASRock only supports Windows for its tools, so really you would report to them your desire that they also support Linux. Yes in that perhaps somebody here might know of an alternative for these programs (however unlikely that is). I don't think Wine will work for such kind of hardware control programs.
av8tor

Post by av8tor »

Well that makes sense.I will contact Asrock and see if they support or will support Linux and will post back the results for future use. I will wait for someone to help with alternatives if there is any available. AsRock has some great tools for their boards that I would like to utilize, if possible.
Thanks for your response xenopeek ....appreciate it
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I have an ASRock mb. Mine came with those utilities also and I know they are Windows only. I don't think ASRock makes any Linux versions and probably never will. That's my guess. I wouldn't even bother to install those things even if they were Linux versions. I just think they are more gimic than anything, well maybe not the extreme tuner. That's just a GUI program for overclocking? You can do everything that can right in your bios. The stuff like fast usb or fast lan must use caching or something similar to make things appear faster. It can't magically turn a usb 3.0 into a usb 6.0. Do you have a UEFI bios. I do. Nice to work in. I have slightly oc'd my cpu and gpu and changed ram settings from 1600 to 1866.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

After I posted this last night I couldn't resist, I had to dig out my mobo box and look at that shiny page describing these utilities. These utilities are designed for Windows users because a whole big bunch of Windows users don't get very involved with how their system works, don't know how to fix things, and they believe this marketing angle. This stuff won't work on Linux just because Linux is not Windows. If you installed wine just for these utilities, my advice, uninstall it now with the utilities. It can only hurt more than help.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Wine can't be used for device drivers. Linux should support the hardware on your motherboard right away, and if it doesn't, then please open a topic about your hardware problems instead of asking for the programs that you use on Windows.

Apart from that I agree with homerscousin. You should not need these utilities for normal computer usage with Linux.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
tbxghost

Post by tbxghost »

I have this motherboard and it is meant to be coming tomorrow or the day after in the post and I am getting prepared and trying to download the drivers for Linux mint 15 Olivia and its not there I am worried that it wont be compatible with my mother board so I wont be able to add the drivers or for it too work
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

tbxghost, you need nothing special from Asrock. In most cases you don't need drivers at all for your motherboard - I don't know which model of board you have so can't help you further with that.

I recommend you to open a new topic if you get any problems with your Asrock board when trying to use Linux on it. In that new topic, please don't forget to mention the motherboard model.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Software & Applications”