Single Mouse Click

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gary7

Single Mouse Click

Post by Gary7 »

In every OS I have used , I had the ability to use a single click to activate an application. It has not been since the days of using the first Windows that I could only single click. How can I acomplish this in Linux Mint 14.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Single Mouse Click

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps elaborate a bit more, as you can start any application from the menu with a single click. So I'm assuming you mean in your file manager, and then it would help if you are specific about either which desktop environment you are using (MATE/Cinnamon/Xfce/KDE) and/or which file manager (if not the default one for your desktop environment).
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

Well I can't even open Firefox with a single click. That is a shortcust on the desktop. I could not even find where to set it to single click.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Gary7 wrote:That is a shortcust on the desktop.
Which is handled by your file manager, so returning to my request for details above :)
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

Actually it is only shortcuts on the desktop where I have to double click to open one.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You gonna dodge much longer to answer the question that will help others help you?
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

Ogrinal poster, please tell what version of linux mint you have installed. Because there is many different Mint versions.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Anyway, on Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon it couldn't be easier (once you remember that your file manager handles the desktop). Nemo > Edit > Preferences > Behavior tab > Single click to open items. That also affects the desktop (letting me single click to open items).
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

OP;

Xenopeek's last post is your solution...

"Nemo" = open your home folder. "Edit" is found on the menu bar...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
stelzergdiane

Post by stelzergdiane »

xenopeek wrote:Anyway, on Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon it couldn't be easier (once you remember that your file manager handles the desktop). Nemo > Edit > Preferences > Behavior tab > Single click to open items. That also affects the desktop (letting me single click to open items).
I will try this one thanks!
Charles123

Post by Charles123 »

Thought I'd mention if you're using Mate (I havn't tried the other desktops) you also open files & applications with a single click of the middle button by default.

Charles.
Brucey99

Post by Brucey99 »

I must say, I've never known why we need to double click folders/files rather than single click. It seems inconistent with everything else and doesn't seem to serve any proper function
gwahyyr

Post by gwahyyr »

It works the same way on 18.1. Cinnamon Edition. Thanks Xenopeek.

Return to “Beginner Questions”