Linux Mint 15 Olivia in Testing!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Linux Mint 15 Olivia in Testing!!

Post by tdockery97 »

Hooray! Both Mint 15 Cinnamon and Mint 15 MATE are now in the testing phase. That means that a release candidate can't be too far off now. :mrgreen:

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
karashata

Re: Linux Mint 15 Olivia in Testing!!

Post by karashata »

Meanwhile, I've been unofficially tracking Linux Mint 15 for a while already...

(Mind you, this installation has been around since Linux Mint 9, and has carefully been groomed into a hybrid of Ubuntu and Debian with a sprinkling of Mint, running GNOME 3.8, so I can't really speak at all about how a fresh installation running MATE or Cinnamon might handle...)

All said, though, this is good news!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Huh? Olivia KDE was already in testing two weeks ago :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

xenopeek wrote:Huh? Olivia KDE was already in testing two weeks ago :)
Heh, an alpha of Olivia/KDE was in testing two weeks ago. Guess there was a need to beat it into some sort of submission? :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

xenopeek wrote:Huh? Olivia KDE was already in testing two weeks ago :)
Guess I should have specified Mint Main. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No, I meant when I clicked on your link I noticed Fred had beat Clem to the testing release :)
sloan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sloan »

Sweet, I can't wait. Currently running Ubuntu 13.04 and really like it, so I expect LM15 to be great.
This is my Linux distro. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I have a brand new WD Caviar Black 500 GB/7200 RPM/64MB buffer HDD ready to be installed as soon as Olivia is released. I figure I'll turn the original OEM installed (old and slow) 1.0 TB HDD into the storage drive it was supposed to be. Good a reason as any to buy a new hard drive? :D

On a side note, just a few years ago the above mentioned new (enterprise quality) HDD would cost somewhere around $200+. Now though, it cost me all of $70. I find that amazing. I thought about an SDD but these solid state drives have a way to go yet before I'll consider one. They need a much longer write cycle life for one thing.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
sloan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sloan »

SSD has really come a long way. Unless you are running a high traffic database server or something like that I wouldn't worry about it.
I suppose it all depends on how long you plan to use it.
If you are like me and prefer new computer about every 4 years, chances are pretty good you'll be replacing your entire computer before you ever kill that SSD.
This is my Linux distro. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Acebull

Post by Acebull »

So when is Linux Mint 15 Olivia cinnamon coming out hope its soon :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yup; I got a SSD in May 2009. It's still chugging away without a problem :)

As for planning of Olivia; RC target is mid this month, so perhaps 2nd half next week. Depending on progress of the ISO testing team. There are a few failures in the test case already though (which is common, that's why there is testing team--to catch bugs and problems so they can be fixed before RC).
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Undoubtedly, is great news. I too have been following the development of the versions that are in testing. It really caught my attention and this KDE version as tested. But Clem recently confirmed as the first that will come out will be Cinnamon and Mate.

I do not install, because I like the LTS. But undoubtedly, when it exits try downloading versions and give them a chance. Linux Mint 15 seems to be great. Greetings.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

land ahoy :D :D How long will it be supported?Don't forget to ditch that silly ugly splash screen guys :D
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please do not download the isos in the mirrors until official announcement
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/g ... -us-a-bit/
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

xenopeek wrote:Please do not download the isos in the mirrors until official announcement
Seriously, I agree. The reason these pre-release ISOs are not hidden is so those of us "unofficial" testers can get their grubby little hands on them and stick 'em in a test partition or virtual machine and beat the bugs out of them. However, regular/average "every-day" type users should not go near these ISOs as they will likely blow up your computer taking you with it (I'm not kidding here). :) If you want to know exactly why, read the blog post referenced by "xenopeek".
nfat

Post by nfat »

When i try any folder or flie right click and "move here:", nemo is kill and i cant see desktop icons.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

kmb42vt wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Please do not download the isos in the mirrors until official announcement
Seriously, I agree. The reason these pre-release ISOs are not hidden is so those of us "unofficial" testers can get their grubby little hands on them and stick 'em in a test partition or virtual machine and beat the bugs out of them. However, regular/average "every-day" type users should not go near these ISOs as they will likely blow up your computer taking you with it (I'm not kidding here). :) If you want to know exactly why, read the blog post referenced by "xenopeek".
I was waiting for the screaming to start :twisted: oh well there goes my fun in reading post of why this and that happened and don't work properly for those who couldn't wait for the real official release and thought it would all work as a final release :lol:
Only kidding, I'm glad Clem added that, will stop the screaming and the horror a bit.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The RC is now released officially: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2361
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

nfat wrote:When i try any folder or flie right click and "move here:", nemo is kill and i cant see desktop icons.
If you mean right-click and selecting "Move to: [location]", it works fine for me. Is that what you mean by "move here"? :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

samriggs wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:
I was waiting for the screaming to start :twisted: oh well there goes my fun in reading post of why this and that happened and don't work properly for those who couldn't wait for the real official release and thought it would all work as a final release :lol:
Only kidding, I'm glad Clem added that, will stop the screaming and the horror a bit.
I've always said that the Linux Mint forums are too polite. Where's the fun in that? I thought "flame wars" were a Linux tradition or something? :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”