Is nemo not optimized to balance it's workload correctly?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jamsterthecool

Is nemo not optimized to balance it's workload correctly?

Post by jamsterthecool »

Hi ,

I've mentioned a similar nemo related issue before.About the unresponsive behavior of nemo file browser/manager when transferring music files from a usb drive to my usb drive player.whilst transferring the file stops at 99% for a while before completing the file transfer .Though the response at that time didn't offer any solutions. So I put the problem down i to the not very well optimized nature of nemo .

here is another issue .So I open a my music folder .And open another sub folder and begin to transfer a mp3/ogg file . Whilst that mp3/ogg is transferring, I than try to navigate back to the main folder .But I just get a blank window and the mouse pointer shows a circle .The blank window sometimes remains that way until the music file/s has finished transferring .Obviously if I'm trying to transfer multiple music files, it can be very laborious having to wait for each file to transfer individually, rather than transferring several at once (then going to do something else whilst it completes ,like I used to do with another computer system )

I don't understand why a modern day computer operating system , with plenty of RAM and processing power, should be so unresponsive when transferring music files between one usb drive to another ?.

Could I use another file browser other than nemo ? .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is nemo not optimized to balance it's workload correctly

Post by xenopeek »

Moved to LMDE forum.
jamsterthecool wrote:Could I use another file browser other than nemo ? .
Sure, take your pick. You can install any other Linux file manager you want.
xox101
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xox101 »

On Mint 15 Cinnamon RC and also see a lot of problems with Nemo. Mainly it freezes when viewing thumbnails. Supposedly Nemo is now the browser of choice for Mint and has been optimised to work with it. I think I read that in the Mint 15 blog so removing Nemo and replacing it with something else may cause other problems?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You don't need to remove it to use another file manager. Have you installed all updates? Several issues for Nemo found on the blog for Linux Mint 15 RC have been fixed and should be available as updates.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

yes sorry I'm running LMDE & it reports it's up to date . I have Nemo 1.1.2 installed .
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Current stable version of Nemo is 1.8.2, so there is little point in looking at problems with 1.1.2. Upgrade will become available with next UP I believe.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

xenopeek wrote:Current stable version of Nemo is 1.8.2, so there is little point in looking at problems with 1.1.2. Upgrade will become available with next UP I believe.
Ok thanks .As a temp work around I can open all the music folder sub folders, before starting any file transfer. With that method I can transfer multiple files at once .Though the transfer windows shows several files all stopped at 99% , for a time related to how many files are transferring . Maybe a estimated 'time for file transfer to complete 'would be more informative .

Return to “LMDE Archive”