Can't boot Linux Mint 14 - Ubuntu Screen appears.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
entity

Can't boot Linux Mint 14 - Ubuntu Screen appears.

Post by entity »

Hi, I am a novice with Linux so don't be too harsh.

Due to power cut my laptop turned off and now when I try to boot linux mint parition it says that partition UUID = 'b2...'(in fstab it says it's a swap partition) can't be mounted, that I should wait, skip or mount manually. it happened before with my Windows partition but what is peculiar instead of usual Linux Mint screen, Ubuntu screen appears. when I try to skip, it goes to shell mode(I believe) - it has <computername> sh% and doesn't do anything.

Since there is no error message I am not sure how to find the problem and fix it. Could anyone help, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Redondo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't boot Linux Mint 14 - Ubuntu Screen appears.

Post by Redondo »

Run the following command from a terminal, so we know what we're dealing with:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
You might have to use the LIVECD, since linux isn't working.
entity

Re: Can't boot Linux Mint 14 - Ubuntu Screen appears.

Post by entity »

Hi, sorry for the late response, but everything is fixed now. I have commented the swap partition out, becouse somebody told me that it wasn't that important during the boot.

Only after that I realised that I was in shell and startx wasn't working because my cinnamon was damaged - I was just too noobish to see that. After I reinstalled it, everything came back to normal.

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Installation & Boot”